Rescue #4

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by ShelterGirl, Jul 3, 2011.

1. ShelterGirl

ShelterGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2011
    In 2007 we recieved 8 baby chickens that had escaped from a broiler chicken farm and were brought to us in a cardboard box. Four years later, one of those is still alive! Gloria has far outlived the normal lifespan of a broiler chicken.

I began working at my local humane society in 2010 and so that year we took in an adult male we called Biscuit, who was illegally in city limits. Though he is not very friendly with us, he is still welcomed. He has taken to four Ameracauna hens!

In June of this year we recieved a 2 week old male Barred Rock at the shelter, reason being "unwanted". He is now so big, and after being hand-raised he is now just the most LOVING little boy!

And now, Wednesday a hen was brought into the shelter after being severely attacked by a dog. Possibly a Rhode Island Red? Most of the feathers on her back-end have been ripped out, and some of the top layer of skin is gone. There were deep puncture wounds, one of which she re-opened today while preening herself. Her wounds have to be cleaned twice a day, with an antibiotic spray being applied afterwards.
    I have been asked- why was she not just euthanized? Well, this sweet girl has shown much motivation and improvement since the time, and we have fought the day-to-day battle praying that she pulls through this critical time. When she came in, she was weak and lethargic. Today she was eating by herself, drinking, and her feces is becoming more solid. She is preening herself now and squalls when it's time to be cleaned. She has even started to peck some of the other people that work with her.

This afternoon it was cleared, and she will be coming home to the farm tomorrow evening (yes, July 4th!). She has been in isolation recently, and will remain that way until she heals more. But she is doing SO much better!

Our family is dedicated to rescuing unwanted/abandoned/injured/neglected chickens. We are no organization, we do it with our own money and have never recieved donations. This hen with need two different types of antibiotics and much care.

We will try and establish a Facebook page for her if she pulls through to Tuesday!

We entered the Pepsi Refresh Contest and are now in the running this month for the chance to win a $5,000 grant that would allowed us to build a brand new coop system for our chickens, including an isolation pen/coop off to the side. We have to be in the top twenty to win this though!

www.refresheverything.com/chickenrescue

Please vote for us once per day and share the word? If you drink Pepsi, they have yellow caps or the cans in a case have a "Power Vote" code. Please enter this to help us earn extra votes?

On our "profile" you will see a picture of two white chickens. These are two of the broiler rescues that passed away last year- Pops and Peeps. The video is of a blind rooster named Carl that also passed last year.

Thanks so much everyone! I will post Tuesday to update on how miss "Henny Penny" is doing!
    Please keep her in your prayers!

2. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    I'll vote! And bless you for taking care of the unwanted chickens of the world!

3. Dowie

Dowie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    You are awesome! Good luck, I hope you win!

4. Miyashi

Miyashi Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2011
    Gaylord, MI
    I wanna be like you! You have my vote!
    All my votes are belong to you! [​IMG]

5. ShelterGirl

ShelterGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2011
    Thank you everyone!
    The blessings are very much appreciated- we need it in this next couple of days making sure she adjusts well and gets to feeling better. Even if she isn't meant to live long, we want her to be comfortable and happy in the last moments. While some seem to give up on her, I will not. I'm not overly excited, but I do have faith in her!

From our three rescues:
    Biscuit, Pickles, & Gloria

And our other babies:
    Lady, Lilac, Lucy, Lily, Pepper, Red, Squirt, Cracker Jr. , & Ginger

Thanks to our voters!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by