Rescue bird has stitch in crop. Why? Why? Why?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by AmyWho, Jan 11, 2015.

1. AmyWho

AmyWho Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2013
    Portland, OR
    This bird was found wandering down a relatively busy street in my town and spending a ton of time trying to hunt down her owners, the finder gave up and asked me to come get her.

She's a beautiful sweet Turken who comes when she's called. I have yet to see an egg out of her, but it appears she has pin feathers on her head. We'll wait until she finishes her molt and the weather warms before we try to make a call on if we should expect eggs from her.

I gave her a once over when I picked her up and found nothing unusual. Her vent looked a little dry, but she seemed in great health overall.

Today was my small flocks weekly "check up." She's the first Naked Neck I've ever owned and the novelty of actually seeing the food in her crop hasn't warn off yet. My husband and I were oogling the food bits that we could see through her weird transparent skin and we noticed this small suture.
    WTH? Why is there a violet suture there that seemingly goes to nothing?

I can't find any scar tissue, and that discoloration to the left of the stitch in the second shot is just food under a blood vessel. The photo makes it look a little funny.

Other than an injury, can you think of why a bird would have a suture here?
    We noticed it during a quick weekly check on our way out the door, and we're going to pull it tomorrow. We'll also check every inch of her for more of them.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm a pet photographer. I can't help but include her glamour shot, <3

[​IMG]

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    I'm not sure, perhaps crop surgery. Maybe someone that's done crop surgery will respond.

3. AmyWho

AmyWho Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2013
    Portland, OR
    I've posted it a few other places and surgery for an impacted crop seems to be the common answer. It so odd though. I can't find where the incision would be or what this stitch was supposed to attach to.
    Thanks for the response, dawg53!

4. islandgirl82

islandgirl82 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2014
    Maine
    I agree on crop surgery. It's odd that someone cared enough about her to take her in for whatever treatment she needed only to lose her/not respond to your friend's attempts at locating them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by