Rescue chick all grown up but...

friendec

Hatching
7 Years
Feb 11, 2012
I rescued a chick last summer and have found my best friend. She is wonderful and gives me a gift a day and I do not even know what I am doing. But now I find myself helpless. Yestrday late afternoon she laid a unique egg slightly discolored with two oval shaped regular colored patches in a chalky like shell. And then today she did not lay her egg in her nest but off her perch and let it fall, I think. Not broken, but the egg had a flat side. It has started getting cold finally after a spring like winter and I am not sure if that could have anything to do with it or if she needs a doctor. I have found what I think is calcium deposits in the shape of small brown dots on her eggs regularly-sometimes a few, sometimes many. I am so confused. Can anyone offer any suggestions. I do not notice any signs of illness but she did miss two days of laying prior to these two days and she is consistant at about 20-26 hours between eggs. She acts healthy and active, no sneezing.

It could be weather related. Also, check her over carefully for lice. Look at the bases of the feathers around the vent for clumps of white eggs. Sometimes chickens lay funny eggs and there is really no reason. Some folks call it a "body check" egg. Check her poo that it looks normal as well. I'm so glad you have a chicken friend!

I will! Thank you. This morning with a little snow on the ground her egg was beautiful.

Back
Top Bottom