Rescue Chicken.....what am I?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by M.sue, Jan 25, 2014.

1. M.sue

M.sue Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2011
    Michigan
    This fall I got a so called rescue flock of 6 hens from a very young guy who I think got in over his head with his chicken project. He had chickens all over the place, different ages, different breeds & some obliviously mixed. Looked to me like the breeding/hatching got out of control. Well 1 of the 6 I know for sure is a Roo. Now as I look at this other one here pictured below, it has me thinking....What mixed breed r u and you better not be a rooster too! Opinions greatly appreciated.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. granny hatchet

granny hatchet Tastes like chicken Premium Member

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    road island red ? def. a roo. sorry

3. M.sue

May 29, 2011
    Michigan
    Well that makes 2 Roo out of the supposedly 6 hens. I specifically asked for hens.....and to make things even better there is one more that is questionable! I have to laugh at this because if anyone could of seen the place....chickens everywhere!! I'd pick one out and by the time the guy caught it was to tell if it was the right one...lol My first instinct was say NO politely, get back into the truck & go! Kind hearted me wanted to help the young man and the chickens!! O'well it happens. :)

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Some generic red rooster.
    I'm pretty sure the other red bird in the first pic is a roo also, and the silver laced bird partially in the first pic is also a rooster.

5. granny hatchet

granny hatchet Tastes like chicken Premium Member

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    donrae, awesome !!!!!!

6. M.sue

May 29, 2011
    Michigan
    Yes, generic Rooster...lol The other red was the next questionable. The silver laced definitely was noticeable right off the bat...my 12 yr.old even said.....That one is a rooster! I'd say I'm fairly green to this chicken stuff even though I was raised being around them my whole childhood. I had my suspessions early on...the fearthers, the size, wattle, the dominating play, etc. Guess I was just trying to say no, that couldn't be....They are just some goofy mixed breed.
    Thanks guys....I appreciate your input!! My neighbors are really gonna love me now! They already despised the little bantam Roo I have. :)

7. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Looks like a Rhode Island Red rooster to me.

8. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I agree.

9. Peep-Chicken

Peep-Chicken Overrun With Chickens

Jun 10, 2013
    Michigan
    My Coop
    Defiantly a rooster. Some type of Rhode Island Red cross. He's very pretty though!

10. gander007

gander007 Chicken Obsessed

Well that rooster is not going to produce any egg's for you [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by