1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Rescue Chickens Losing Tail Feathers

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Biglurr54, Mar 10, 2014.

1. Biglurr54

Biglurr54 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 3, 2014
    So i had an add out looking for a free chicken coop so I could start chicken keeping. I got a response of someone who had an ugly old coop that their neighbors complained about. I went and looked at it and its perfect. It may need a coat of paint but it will clean up nice. So I told them I would take it. They had 12 chickens and 2 ducks in the coop at the time. They were down sizing the coop size so they couldnt keep all the chickens and ducks. I said I would take the chickens and ducks they dont want. I got 4 golden comets and one white chicken. They told me they got the 5 chickens from someone who couldnt care for them any more and they were being fed horse food. They have a bunch of tail feathers missing. I brought them home when the coop was set up. They seem happy and healthy and were laying well for a week. Then the stress of the move got to them and now they are starting to lay again (about 4 weeks with low egg production). I noticed that one of the birds seemed to be bleeding near the missing tail feathers. I have them on a layers pellet with grit and oyster shells available. Is this normal? Could they have a disease? how long till they get some feathers back?

2. Biglurr54

Feb 3, 2014
    [​IMG]

3. Biglurr54

Feb 3, 2014
    [​IMG]

4. Biglurr54

Feb 3, 2014
    [​IMG]