Rescue Chickens... need help.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by WhiteMountainsRanch, Aug 2, 2010.

1. WhiteMountainsRanch

WhiteMountainsRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2010
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    Got 2 rescue chickens today. They will be quarantined far far from my girls. Supposedly they are 1 year old. I felt so bad for them. They are missing a lot of feathers, they look horrible to me. The lady said they HAD a rooster, but no longer. All the chickens in the pen looked like this. Feathers on the back are only about 1/2" long, almost no "pantie" feathers- bare bums, and all the feathers on the underside look only about 1/2" long also. They were filthy, with poo stuck to the bums, so I bathed them and looked them over real well. No discharge from eyes or nose, no sneezing, normal poops, eating and drinking fine. I put them on clean water and 18% layer.

Questions; Why are they like this? What do I do to help them? Do they need any supplements?

See the bare bum?
    [​IMG]

Any ideas appreciated, thanks!

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 2, 2010
  2. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

Could be from a rooster. [​IMG] They are pretty though. [​IMG] Good for you to rescue them. [​IMG]

3. TyrannosaurusChix

TyrannosaurusChix Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2010
    Savannah, NY
    nice looking SLW. I bought a year old pair.. actually mine are almost 18 months now.

One of them looks like one of mine. we just got rid of the brutus man who broke all of these feathers. The broken saddle feathers are indeed from a rooster who is too rough, or too often.

The bum, since its just a side view sort of looks like one of mine, but mine are closer to 18 months and are thinning out in that area, im assuming molt/heat. They are a little bit rough around the edges but i do take good care of mine and the one closest int he pic could be my slw's twin. give the feathers time to grow back out.. actually im assuming i have to wait until they are shed to get the full feathers back..

Check for scaley leg and lice, and youve already covered the eyes and nose and respiratory-- seems like you got some good girls there.

Oh, as for the poo on the feathers, it could be she jsut got overheated and had some extra water in her poo before you got her. If her poopie is normal now, just keep an eye on it. wash the fluff off and just see if it gets dirty again.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2010
  4. WhiteMountainsRanch

Jun 19, 2010
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    I looked at the skin everywhere, and didn't see any lice or bugs or dots or anything. The legs look fine except one spot on one of them. Should I put Vaseline on them just in case?

Should I de-worm them? Should I dust them? Should they be getting any supplements or anything extra? ACV or Poly-Vi-Sol or anything?

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 2, 2010
  5. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

Quote:Yes, Yes, & Yes. Treat them like they have the plague. Worm, dust, & vitamins. Quarantine for 30 days...... just in case. They will be beauties!

6. WhiteMountainsRanch

Jun 19, 2010
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    Ok they got Seven dusted and Wazine yesterday. [​IMG] (They looked so funny like white marshmallows after). [​IMG]

I need to go Pam their legs today.

They are starting to look better already, the bath helped a lot! I'm thinking of doing another one with soap! (Then redusting). [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 3, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by