Rescue Chickens

waterfowlrescue

Songster
12 Years
Aug 24, 2007
NC
I got called to animal control today for a duck and I couldnt leave these poor chickens. I am wondering if this one has a typical mating injury or if its something else. Anyone who can ID they for me I apprecaite any feedback on breeds.

I guess my links arent workign so here is a link to my photo album

http://www.flickr.com/photos/85081070@N00/

Last edited:
I'm not so good with injury pictures, so I can't really help there.

The rooster that shows most of the bird is a Standard Golden Duckwing Old English Game.

The hen with the silver in her neck is a female of the same breed. I can't tell if she is a bantam or standard.

The next hen is a BB Red. (Black Breasted Red) Again I can't tell if bantam or standard.

The ones below that, I can't tell. The 2 on someones lap are hard to see. The left one looks colored like a RIR (Rhode Island Red), but not sure.

The ones below that, I'd have to see the whole bird to be able to take shot at it's breed. Looks like RIR also, but not sure.

Hope I helped somewhat.

Jean

Cuts and abrasions on the back and sides are mating injuries, they will heal up real quick with a few days away from the rooster.

The missing feathers on the belly are normal- the hen did that to line her nest. She looks like a Production Red hen.

Just a few weeks in a nice coop with plenty of hens for the rooster and space and grass for everyone and they'll be looking great! Chickens are tough and heal fast, with a little care they'll soon forget their troubles.
smile.png

Roo looks like fighting in juries and possible some favus? Hen is mating injury maybe also infected a bit due to the big black areas. Red bottom I don't think is setting, my sitting hens have big white warm moist bottoms. I say it is possibly feathers out due to lice or acities if she is large in the bottom. Just guesses.

Back
Top Bottom