rescue dog with ear infections

Hillsvale

Songster
10 Years
Oct 20, 2009
Hillsvale, Nova Scotia
Good morning all,

We have a rescue shepherd we got last year, he was abused medically (ear infections to the point of half his ear literally rotting) rather than physically and he has chronic ear infections now... he is about 9 years old.

We finally had a new vet that the infections were yeast and gave us drops and prednisone and a bill for 165.00. When the ear flares he shakes his like its mites and scratched until they inflame and the polups swell his ear shut. This happend about every 2 months...

With all you inovated folk here I wonder if someone else has some suggestions that will help us avoid these 165. vet trips?

Birdaholic is correct... a solution ofwhite vinegar & water (1:1) in a spray bottle - mist the ear & massage the ear base after spraying. I do not wipe it out. We use as a preventative once weekly. When inflammed we use it once daily. The vinegar changes the pH so it negates fungal infections. We found this cure years ago when we took in a rescue cocker with absolutely HORRIBLE ears & after spending a fortune. After 2 months we no longer needed the vinegar. We now have 2 other cockers one of which is prone to ear infections. We spray once a week as a just in case preventative... works great for us... and the ear is now normal & clean. Note that in extremely inflammed ears the vinegar will "burn" a little the first few days...

You can also add probiotics to his food or water to help change the flora of his body that is causing the yeast infestations.

Raw apple cider vinegar with the mother in the drinking water and portion of plain yogurt in with the food.

We have poodles and they are known for ear issues with the hair that grows deep int he canal. You can buy ear powder once you get this outbreak cleared up and once a week puff some in and massage it around. Cleaning the ears weekly will go a long long way in preventing future issues. You can conquer this and prevent it from recoccuring with such frequency.

If the vinegar doesnt seem to help .. Go to your local health food store or walmart and get Tea Tree oil.. It is an amazing anti fungal, anti biotic, antiinflammitory and all around amazing stuff... You can clean your house with add it to your laundry when sickness is spreading thru your house, it works great for topical skin issues>

Last edited:
Tea tree oil is not supposed to be used on skin that produces its own moisture - the mouth, around the eyes and other private places. I would tred lightly when suggesting to other people to use it orally. Tea tree oil is a topical treatment.

Quote:
Hmmm It was reccomeneded to me for an absecesd tooth.. I have used it many times with great success... I do however only use the essential oils... I will have to look into it more... I just know how amazing it worked so I try to share... Thanks for bringing it to my attention

PURPLE POWER TO THE RESCUE!!!

16 oz. bottle witch hazel
4 tablespoons Boric Acid Powder
16 drops Gentian Violet 1% Solution
4 tablespoons glycerin

Combine in a bottle, shake well before each use. Fill the ear, massage gently at the base, and let the dog shake. Then take a soft cloth and clean/dry the ear.

Warning, the gentian violet will stain light colored clothing and hair, but this is an outstanding cleaner and used on a regular basis will eliminate yeast in the ears.

Ask in your area for another vet?

I paid that to have a surgical procedure on my cat's ears to 'cure' the problem- they used a laser and removed all the polyps- as a bonus it didn't further damage his hearing.

Then again this might be different-

He went in for his yearly the cyst and tumors were checked on and removed as needed (about every three years for the same 150-180 ish price)

I still had to keep his ears clean but I could do it with OTC stuff.

Back
Top Bottom