Rescue duck just might fully recover and fly away into the sunset...

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Happyflower, Jun 19, 2010.

1. Happyflower

Happyflower Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2009
    Midwest
    This week my rescue duck has made huge strides in recovering. She used to fall over all the time and couldn't get back up. She still shakes, but it is less, and now she can groom herself without falling over. After walking around for about 10 minutes though, she starts to get wobbly and tired. So I guess now I need to build up her endurance since she isn't used to doing anything other than sitting up in her cage. Now that she isn't falling over all the time, I can make it bigger in her cage so she can move around more.

Here is a video of her walking around after her bath. We thought it was a she, but now we aren't so sure because of the sound of her quack. Anyone want to take a guess? lol

2. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    She is looking better...I said she as it does still sound to be making more of a quack...But I couldnt say for sure, maybe another week or two and you will know for sure with the gender. Glad to hear that she isnt falling over so much anymore. It would be interesting to know if she will be able to fly.. I do hope that she does recover enough to be able to do that. It may turn out that in future she does better if she can fly and doesnt have to rely n walking around so much.

3. bock

bock Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    Northern CA
    She's so beautiful! [​IMG] I hope she gets better. [​IMG] I couldn't tell in the video, but is her beak green or brown? If it's green it's a drake and if it's brown it's a hen. Best of wishes to little duckie! [​IMG]

4. Happyflower

Jun 3, 2009
    Midwest
    Thanks Duckyromoz!

If she doesn't fly away (because she is a wild mallard duck) she will always have a home here on my pond. Somehow she will have to fit in with my pair of rouens. (but they give her the evil eye and try to peck at her already) I don't know if I should clip her wings until I know she can walk well enough alone. Would that be a good idea. I know how to clip cockatiel wings, but not sure about ducks.

Quote:

5. Happyflower

Jun 3, 2009
    Midwest
    Thanks Bock!

(Her) beak is mostly brown with some black. :) I would very happy if she is a hen and sticks around to lay eggs for me.

Quote:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by