Rescue egg emergency

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by silkfur, May 1, 2017.

1. silkfur

silkfur Just Hatched

Sep 9, 2016
    Today my duck hen was taken, I went to go check in on her and her plumage was everywhere. My Aussie their protector was very very upset and he paced the zone.
    I took in the eggs with the hope they would still make it because one of her previous eggs had made it from her last batch. She lays strong eggs. They will be baby mallards.
    I took the eggs in and put a cloth with warmed up dry lentils, and locked them In The bathroom with a heat lamp. We candled only one of them and the eggs have veins inside, they still look okay to me. I'll try to get some pictures out. They were probably alone since 7:00 this morning and I got to them around 10:30
    I need to know how to make them an incubator until I get one from my friend. Do you think they could make it.

2. chickens really

chickens really Chicken Obsessed

Only if you incubate them...They can not get cold...95.5 temp....Also humidity needs to be correct...It depends on how many days the eggs were set and the age of the embryos ..

3. silkfur

silkfur Just Hatched

Sep 9, 2016
    The eggs are around 14 days old, with veins and embryos. I came back home and checked on them, they seem okay the top half of the eggs have a big blank gap, is that the air pocket? I am no longer with the eggs so I still haven't had the chance to get a picture but I will soon.

4. chickens really

chickens really Chicken Obsessed

No need for a picture...Get the incubator and set at 100...Humidity at 50 depending on your location or 40...:)

5. silkfur

silkfur Just Hatched

Sep 9, 2016
    Alright well thank you. I just wanna make sure all the eggs are healthy and I don't incubate the ones that are dead.this has helped a lot I got everthing all settled. Here's to hoping they make it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by