Rescue hen very weak, pale. Best foods?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by warmheart, Mar 20, 2013.

1. warmheart

warmheart Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2012
    Norton, MA
    Beatrice was brought home Monday evening. She may possibly be some sort of Belgian Bantam mix (maybe? Easter Egger in there too?), not sure. I'll get pics soon. Her head was bleeding from pecks as larger hens bullied her at her last home. She's missing some of her comb. Her facial skin, comb, wattles (if there are any) are all extremely pale, anemic-looking. She will eat a tiny bit, then sleep, sleep, sleep. She's quite weak. Poops mostly solid, a few are liquid.

Miss Bea is in the "chicken hospital", a huge plastic dog crate in the living room. She has Agway layer crumbles and water. What foods would best build her blood back up? I've given her a handful of Nibblets type corn, some chopped up scrambled egg, (she ate 2 handfulls!) a wee bit of scratch grains to perk her interest, and she ate 1 and a half waxworms. She doesn't seem to know to eat chopped Romaine lettuce, though I offered it. (She loves to eat stuff from my hand! Very FRIENDLY girl)

Ideas for foods to build an anemic, weak hen's blood back up? Thanks in advance!

2. mandelyn

mandelyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2009
    Goshen, OH
    I'd give her boiled egg yolks (just the yellows), baby parrot formula, a variety of dark, leafy greens (steamed and put into cooked rolled oats? Spinach especially) flax seed, shelled sunflower seeds, go for variety. Peas, strawberries, anything with iron that she'll eat. Dandelion weeds are really healthy, from Iron to vitamin E.

Then I'd also put vitamins in the water, and encourage her to drink it. If you don't see her drink, you may need to help her. Making the parrot formula will have water in it, and will help her get some hydration and food.

3. warmheart

Sep 30, 2012
    Norton, MA
    Thank you! We've got Exact parrot formula in the pantry, just in case. Good idea about boiling the greens a bit first. Thank you! I have baby spinach in spring mix I bought for her, and some frozen spinach I can thaw. I'll try her with strawberries. I have ground and whole flax seeds both. Thank you for the great ideas!![​IMG]

4. BuffOrpington88

BuffOrpington88 Non-Stop

Mar 20, 2012
    A high protein feed is Harrison's High Protein Crumbles. That will help her gain weight back. Also, Nutrical can help as an occasional supplement to her diet.
    Good luck!

5. warmheart

Sep 30, 2012
    Norton, MA
    Thank you! I'll look into Nutrical. Looks like I also need a trip to the grocery store!

6. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

I would also consider deworming her.

7. warmheart

Sep 30, 2012
    Norton, MA
    You're right. I just wish to wait a bit until she's more healthy/stable/well, and transitioned to being here a while before worming her just yet. Thank you for the reminder!

8. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

Good idea. Poor little thing, hope she perks up and does better in her new home.

9. warmheart

Sep 30, 2012
    Norton, MA
    Thank you! I'm going to the market for peas (I'm not sure what kind are best?) and strawberries, plus raw (hulled) sunflower seeds. She eats a little, then sleeps so much afterwards. Poor dear, seems she needs rest so much too.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2013
  10. mandelyn

mandelyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2009
    Goshen, OH
    Is she perkier today?

Be sure to offer some grit for all these whole foods. She may have enough in her system, she may not. The parrot formula is good because she doesn't have to have grit in her crop to break it down.

Once she's through this, she can go on whichever feed you are using for the other chickens. Worming would be a good idea once she's stabilized.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by