rescue hens

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Marili, Nov 10, 2014.

1. Marili

Marili New Egg

Nov 7, 2014
    2 of my hens have come from an "egg-farm" and were in a sorry state when I got them, 2 months ago, but have now fully recovered and look great! But they still pass very watery stools (inbetween normal ones) > some pure white . They have not laid any eggs whih I put down to being stressed at first and now with winter coming , being off lay. But the endless appetite they have and the enormous amount they pass out the other end, worries me ( they HAVE been wormed) Any explanation? I keep them mainly on Laying pellets, which they were brought up on (so I was told)

2. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

What did you use to worm them?

3. Marili

Marili New Egg

Nov 7, 2014
    I was told that they had had a full Health-check a week before I collected them and also had been wormed, but I recently gave them "Diatomateous earth" too, just in case. They have put on weight since I've had them and I hadn't seen any sign of worms.
    Thanks for answering!

4. enola

Diamotaceous earth is useless as a wormer. Do yourself and your chickens a favor and get some Safeguard or Valbazen and worm your hens.

5. carolcu

carolcu Out Of The Brooder

Sep 3, 2010
    Cleveland
    Do you know if you can continue to eat the eggs while you are worming the hens?

6. carolcu

carolcu Out Of The Brooder

Sep 3, 2010
    Cleveland
    Do you know if you can continue to eat the eggs while you are worming the hens?

7. enola

You should not eat the eggs. There will be residue from the wormer that i would not want in my system. You should also not feed the eggs to other animals.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2014
  8. Marili

Marili New Egg

Nov 7, 2014
    Advice taken, thanks ! Got some "Flubenvet yesterday.

9. enola

Good choice of wormer! They will need to be wormed again in 10 days.

10. Free Feather

Free Feather Chillin' With My Peeps

Watery is sometimes normal, for every seven craps, one will be very watery. It is there way of peeing. Maybe you know that, but most be people with ex-batts get them as their first chickens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by