1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Rescue ID

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by avidFFa, Dec 7, 2012.

1. avidFFa

avidFFa Out Of The Brooder

Feb 4, 2011
    This last summer I did some work with the local SPCA and Bird Rescue in newyork. At a farm festival my family runs we had a lady who brought rabbits and chicks for everyone to "pet". As it turns out she was simply selling all the animals without proper care instructions and leaving them out all day in deplorable condition. After her rooster collapsed the SPCA had her sign over her animals. The bird rescue took the worst of them and left one young bird with me. I ended up homing the little guy to my aunt who has a farm and a small producing flock(also has a meat production flock every summer). He got 3 months of separate QT from the other birds of course. The little guy is quite the bird though. From day one he has had 0 fear of people, 0 aversion to them and a total fear of other chickens. Every time we would open his pen he would fly up into your arms and every time we let him out into the yard he would fly up into your lap while we sat in chairs. He is literally a Lap-Bird. Loves petting and just snoozing on peoples laps. Terrified of the other birds(no reason either, they like him well enough.)

Here is a picture of him, i was wondering if anyone had any idea of a breed(the lady he was taken from swore he was an americauna). Im thinking him but maybe a she. Was too messed up and young to sex when i was around. This pic was taken by my aunt a month ago.

[​IMG]

His name is Seraph i should mention. Also, in case it helps, yellow legs.

2. Cowgirl71

Cowgirl71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2010
    Missouri Ozarks
    He's not an Ameraucana, probably an Easter Egger (which most hatcheries sell as "Ameraucanas"). He's very pretty!

3. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    he is a mix looks like he may have leghorn in him

4. avidFFa

Feb 4, 2011
    Thanks, that's what i was thinking, though i thought EE had darker legs(I may be confusing breeds) of course, he could be a mix of god knows what. Of the other birds she had there was 1 Americauna, 1 Araucauna and something of a mix. The first two though were amazing representations of their breeds though, i am not sure where she got such nice birds, certainly not from your average chick order company. I am thinking that maybe she got them from the local amish(we have a lot of them and chickens are in).

Edit: ninja'd on the mix idea :p

Last edited: Dec 7, 2012
  5. hdowden

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    ee's can look like anything. an ee is any chicken that carries the blue egg laying gene that does not meet the SOP of an ameracuana

6. avidFFa

Feb 4, 2011
    That is good to know. However, if he is a he(sex feathers look male to me) how would you determine if they have the blue/green egg gene? Or would you have to proof breed him.

7. hdowden

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    that i would guess would be hard to really determine. you could try putting him over some brown egg layers and hatch their babies out and grow the pullets to the point they are laying to see if they lay green eggs

8. avidFFa

Feb 4, 2011
    It would be a fun test. She has a few brown layers, the problem would be getting him anywhere near them -_-''. I think he shall just remain "Seraph, official lap warmer" for the time being. Seriously, his behavior is just the cutest. Thanks for the help thus far.

9. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I don't see any classic easter egger signs--dark or green legs, beard or muffs, pea comb. He just looks like a mixed breed rooster to me, maybe some leghorn, something black breasted red.

10. Baymule

Baymule Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2010
    Northeast Texas
    Seraph is obviously a very special bird. He is beautiful! [​IMG] He deserves a better name that maybe mixed EE. His coloring is gorgeous............ I am putting on the thinking cap.,.............OK! I got it!! Seraph is a Burgandy Bronze Cuddler!! Give him a hug for me!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by