Rescue kitten. Need advice.

janiedoe

Wrangler
Premium Feather Member
6 Years
May 7, 2017
East Texas
I don't know anything about kittens. I have had a few rescue cats in the past but have never had a kitten.
We rescued a baby kitten from our dogs. It was in the chicken yard (not run) last night and for some reason came over the fence into our back yard when I let the dogs out. (They were carrying on so bad, that I thought it was a raccoon in the yard.)
One of my boxers grabbed it in his mouth but dropped it when my husband told him to release.

Info:
1. The kitten is feral and I could only handle it with gloves on. Although it did let me handle it without hissing or trying to bite or scratch today.
2. No broken skin.
3. No broken bones.
4. It ate a little scrambled egg and drank some cream.
5. It doesn't seem interested in dry kitten feed.
6. It is secured in a kennel with protection from dogs.
7. I have a vet appt. On Monday.
8. That is cream on it's nose and paw.

I cannot get a full body pic. It isn't cooperative. It is not very big, maybe a lb. My husband thinks it's 4 to 6 weeks. I have no idea.

Question: can anyone tell me about how old this kitten is? Do I need to give it soft food? Does it need a heating pad?
Any advice is appreciated.
20191018_143833.jpg

So adorable! Looks pretty healthy to me. I can’t help you with the age, but one of my favorite hobbies is taming down feral kittens (we used to have lots of strays in the neighborhood). It looks like it’s old enough for dry kitten food, but soft food should be okay, too (we would sometimes mix warm milk with regular cat food for ours). If he/she isn’t eating it’s probably because he/she is scared right now.

Whenever I caught ours, I’d put them in the bathroom (it was a small space where I could still locate the kitten), and I would sit in there with them and talk softly to them. They would growl and hiss at me if I got close and hide behind the toilet. Eventually I would slowly reach back there and carefully pick them up by the scruff and lower them into my lap and gently hold them there, petting them nicely and speaking in a soft voice. I could often get them tamed down and purring within the hour. Just hold them close to your body so they feel more secure and just keep reassuring him/her you aren’t going to hurt them. Good luck!

I don't know anything about kittens. I have had a few rescue cats in the past but have never had a kitten.
We rescued a baby kitten from our dogs. It was in the chicken yard (not run) last night and for some reason came over the fence into our back yard when I let the dogs out. (They were carrying on so bad, that I thought it was a raccoon in the yard.)
One of my boxers grabbed it in his mouth but dropped it when my husband told him to release.

Info:
1. The kitten is feral and I could only handle it with gloves on. Although it did let me handle it without hissing or trying to bite or scratch today.
2. No broken skin.
3. No broken bones.
4. It ate a little scrambled egg and drank some cream.
5. It doesn't seem interested in dry kitten feed.
6. It is secured in a kennel with protection from dogs.
7. I have a vet appt. On Monday.
8. That is cream on it's nose and paw.

I cannot get a full body pic. It isn't cooperative. It is not very big, maybe a lb. My husband thinks it's 4 to 6 weeks. I have no idea.

Question: can anyone tell me about how old this kitten is? Do I need to give it soft food? Does it need a heating pad?
Any advice is appreciated.
View attachment 1938152
I looks old enough to be eating hard cat food!

I would say 4-6 weeks old also. I would give it wet food or a softened dry food (kitten formula if you can), not cream or cow's milk. Glad to hear you have a vet appointment Monday. Good luck with your rescue!

You have no doubt solved all the problems by now, but I thought I would throw this in. I have tamed wild little barn kittens by holding them on my lap and feeding them tunafish a tiny piece at a time. Doesn't take long, either.

You have no doubt solved all the problems by now, but I thought I would throw this in. I have tamed wild little barn kittens by holding them on my lap and feeding them tunafish a tiny piece at a time. Doesn't take long, either.
Thanks @cassie she is as tame as can be now. She is now a house kitty named Boo. The dogs have supervised visitation only.

Back
Top Bottom