1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Rescue meaties....have smelly diarrhea....whats the treatment?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by kickinchicken, Jan 3, 2011.

1. kickinchicken

kickinchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2010
    Rhode Island
    So I have some lovely rescued meaties, cornish x, hens. 3 of them to be exact.
    I have been trying to get them comfortable and I am sure they are mentally happy.
    Here's what I've done so far....
    Feeding a light diet, I think, of a small amount of medicated chick starter, romaine lettuce, ricotta and shredded cheddar, olive oil, and tomatoes, and water with a Tums and poly-vi-sol. Did this for the first 2 days. Gave them grower feed tonight as a way to add something more solid to their diet.

They are clean and happy. They have an area of shavings and most of their little triage area is straw. Only issue, at this point is the god-awful smelling poo. Its basically a runny tan with lots of water. Just as an added tidbit of info....not ONE of the cages that had the birds had any water. All waterers were empty and filthy. Perhaps they are drinking alot now that they have free access to water and this is why there is so much water in their poo.... [​IMG]

These gals will be kept until they die of natural causes. What can I do to keep them healthy and at a more manageable weight. The goal is to not have them as huge meaties, but as happy hens.

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Have you wormed or are you planning to? Also give them plain yogurt or butter milk it will help with gut issues. Some chicken poo is very smelly and I believe it is the tan colored thats the worst.here's the poo chart, www.chat.allotment.org.uk/index.php?topic=17568.0 it could be that the digestive systems just need to get a balance since they are getting some good food and fresh water.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2011
  3. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Meaties have a reputation for awful smelling poo.

Hopefully Gritsar will come along in a minute, she has one (a broody, no less) she is raising, or you could PM her.

4. kickinchicken

kickinchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2010
    Rhode Island
    Well it didn't look like any of the poo on the chart. I am thinking it is their digestive tract getting back in order as well as drinking too much water. Poor things are probably gorging on water and fresh yummy food because they never had any.
    I am going to worm them as a preventative....what would you suggest? No worm symptoms, just to help their bodies get all the nutrients possible. I am not wanting to raise worms....ew!

I am going to PM Gristar as it seems he/she has experience with rescued meaties.

5. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Good idea and she could give you info on worming too probably, good luck

6. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    That first link is very informative, I have always been told that ivermectin would not kill round worms but this site has it listed as treatment for them. [unless I read it wrong] nope read it right it does.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2011
  7. Judy

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Quote:Yeah, it's the first place I found that really tells it all, and I just found it recently. I've decided to alternate ivermectin with the one that gets hookworms, because ivermectin also gets lice/mites, and there's only one that gets hookworms, which I know we have around here.

I believe I got the link from another BYCer.

8. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Thanks for the link ddawn, now what about Epernix? have you used it for worming and will it also take care of the buggers? There reason I'm asking is because theres no egg withdrawl.

9. Judy

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Quote:I've been researching your question because I don't know the answer. Actually I rather thought Eprinex was just a brand of ivomectin but it's not. Its chemical name is eprinomectin (ivomectin is a chemical name.) I've used Eprinex, yes, dosed as Speckledhen does. And ate the eggs.

I don't know why there would be withdrawal time for ivomectin when it is the drug used in people for river blindness.

Can't vouch for its taking care of anything, didn't have fecals done, didn't have sick birds, just wormed as a preventive measure. I live in a wormy area.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 3, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by