Rescue Misson...so far successful **UPDATE**

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by missred871, May 15, 2010.

1. missred871

missred871 Eggxhausted Momma

May 5, 2010
    Perry GA
    Well, anyone who reads the post on setting on the 24th will know that I mentioned earlier Friday evening that I found an egg that seemed to have piped BUT the hole in the egg was about the size of a dime. I left the chick in the nest for a few more hours and went back to check, he had made no more progress on exiting the egg. The membrane has ziploc-ed all but his beak and surrounding face. I am guessing he wasnt in the best place under the hen... ANYWAY...I lost a chick last year the same way and I wasnt having any of that this time, so I grabbed the egg and brought it in, grabbed that tweezers and warm water and qtips and went to it, slow and steady and careful. There was no way I was not gonna try to rescue this little guy. Anywho after an hour of working at it and several hours of keeping him surrounded with a heating pad he's pretty much good as new, all but for the "after birth" I cant seem to get it all off of him so he looks like a sloppy mess. Just that stickyness has dried up but other than that....hes FANTASTIC! I am sooooo happy and proud....I wasnt sure I could do it but so far so good! Here are several pictures I took they start after I got about halfway through the egg shell. I had to slowly snip away half the shell and then wait for the blood to leave the shall and the umbilical cord to dry up and fall off but sooooo happy!

[​IMG]
    Half peeled out
    [​IMG]
    half out again
    [​IMG]
    FINALLY free of the egg and his "umbilical cord"
    [​IMG]
    All dry now and partially clean lol
    [​IMG]
    Happy chicky poo [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

UPDATE!!!!!!

Little Chicky poo is in the brooder now with all the other peepers, hes doing FANTASTIC... So glad he is too!

Last edited: May 15, 2010
  2. pdsavage

pdsavage Sussex Monarch

Mar 27, 2008
    NW,Missouri
    Great job...
    Im slowly working on 2 myself.....

3. missred871

May 5, 2010
    Perry GA
    GOOD LUCK! It can be tough!

4. Kansaseq

Kansaseq Prairie Wolf Farm Asylum

Feb 12, 2009
    NE Kansas
    I had to do that for one, once, too. Mine was also sticky. I gave him a warm bath and immediately blew him dry. Good as new.

5. missred871

May 5, 2010
    Perry GA
    hes found the food and water and hes fluffed up all on his own now. Only reason I can tell him from everyone else is hes pitch black with a white tummy [​IMG]

6. CindyG

CindyG Chillin' With My Peeps

Ahhh, so happy it worked out for you. I had the exact same situation, could see the little face and beak through the hole, helped him out but not such a happy ending. His feet were curled, so he couldn't stand, I kept him in the bator and fed him with a dropper, but he didn't make it. It happens I guess, but is very sad. Good luck with your little one.

7. MareeZoCool

MareeZoCool Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] Congratulations on your surgical skills! That is one fine looking peeper you generously shared the photo of, thanks for sharing the great news![​IMG]

Last edited: May 16, 2010
  8. Gypsylion

Gypsylion Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2009
    Boston, MA
    I'm dealing with exactly the same thing with one of my bantam cochin eggs that's been in the 'bator, so I'm SO glad you posted this! Right now I have the egg totally opened up, but the remaining membrane/muck hasn't fallen off of him yet. I suspect that moving around in the egg when they zip twists that stuff up so it seals off, so his didn't get a chance to do that??

So far I've had 2 other eggs in there hatch out just fine, and NOTHING from the other 13...

I hope my little one turns out as well as yours!

9. vtsarahb

vtsarahb Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2009
    Bradford, VT
    I'm doing exactly the same thing today- although my little one is not so dry yet [​IMG] Thanks for posting photos! [​IMG]

10. missred871

May 5, 2010
    Perry GA
    Quote:The muck and if there is any blood in the membrane still will dry up and he will detach himself from it. Wrap it in a clean wash rag and then in a heating pad (loosely) on LOW heat. Moniter it as to make sure you dont over heat the little one. It took about 45 min for mine to finish absorbing the rest of the blood in the membrane and then drop the gunk off. Its the umbilical cord just leave it as is and let nature do its thing... and a little extra care for a few hours. I dont recommend giving it a bath because they are suseptible to getting a cold or something like that if you wet them. But you can get qtips and warm water and try to unmat the fuzzies hell fluff out the rest of the way in the brooder, I would give him about 12 hours before putting him with the others in the brooder. Make sure hes sturdy and healthy. [​IMG] GOOD LUCK. It is full filling to save a life.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by