Rescue my Roosters Exposed to Mareks

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by save my rooster, Aug 5, 2013.

1. save my rooster

save my rooster New Egg

Aug 5, 2013
    I recently decided to raise chickens. I had one die of Marek;s disease after six weeks., Then another came down with it. I loved it and tried several kinds of medicines. It lived and is now six months old and unfortunately, has started crowing. He is a rooster. I cannot take him back to the feed store as he is obviously able to expose their chickens to Mareks. He is a barred rock/dominecker and his feet are slightly deformed from the disease. Other than that, he is good to go. I also have a very healthy four month old golden sex link rooster about to cockadoodledoo. I love my birds and I am hoping there is someone out there who can rescue them. I know it is a risk unless you already have chickens who have been exposed. I live in north Texas and roosters are not allowed. On top of that I have a neighbor who complains about stuff and he will not put up with this. If you have a farm and love these animals like I do and have chickens that have been exposed alreasy, please email me. Thanks, Anna

2. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I am sorry that I cannot help. [​IMG]I am in the same predicament. One of my birds appears to have contracted ocular Mareks, but, since I show my birds (and a bird with strange looking eyes can't be shown), I can't keep her. I don't want to cull her, as she is perfectly healthy except for having small, irregularly shaped pupils that don't respond to light. However, I don't know why anyone would want a bird that could introduce Marek's to their flock.[​IMG] So, I don't know what to do with her; I think that I am going to end up just keeping her for her entire life.

3. save my rooster

save my rooster New Egg

Aug 5, 2013
    I wish I could keep mine. Roosters are not allowed in the city I am in so I have to put him down or find someone who can take him and the other rooster I ended up with. They were supposed to be Hens. I love them and it is really hurting to know that there may be no alternative rather than culling them. Thanks for response, Anna

4. mithious

mithious Chillin' With My Peeps

I have another question...what exactly do you regret? "what has happened" is pretty vague...it could mean you regret telling a fib, telling the truth and not wanting to stop YOUR dreams, putting other people in danger of a horrible disease? which one is it?...what do you regret?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by