1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Rescue OEGB Flock

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Pyxis, Jan 1, 2017.

1. Pyxis

Pyxis Dark Sider Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    About a week ago, a coworker told me about a flock of tiny chickens that had been dumped on the property across from her house. Here in VT the weather is now freezing, there is snow on the ground, and there was no way those chickens were going to make it through the winter on their own. She asked if I would take them. I said if she could catch them I would. I gave her some chicken feed, which she used to lure them into a crate, and on Tuesday she handed them off to me.

They turned out to be a flock of OEGBs, and there were seven in all, five hens and two roosters. It seems I have two wheaten hens, one blue wheaten hen, one red quill/ginger red hen, and one porcelain hen. The roosters appear to be either BBR or wheaten (I'm leaning toward wheaten as that would make sense given the hens and they seem to have orange/gold in their hackles and saddles).

Upon getting them, it was apparent that they all have a bad case of scaly leg mites. Their nails were also all overgrown and starting to curl as if they were never allowed on ground to scratch and wear them down. Strangely, they also all have bands, so my guess is they are dumped breeding group that the 'breeder' was done with and instead of bothering to try to find them a good home or culling them opted to just dump and leave to die.

So they're currently living in a rabbit hutch, which is not ideal, but is all I have to keep them in. They are in quarantine on the other side of the property away from the rest of my flocks. Treatment on the leg mites has begun in the form of Ivermectin pour on being applied to them. As a bonus this will also worm them. Nails have had to be clipped since they were in such bad shape. Here are some pictures of them all:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

One rooster had spurs that were so unkempt and overgrown that they were about to grow back into his legs, so that was dealt with as well. Here is a before and after shot of that:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I'll probably keep this thread updated on their progress. Hopefully they don't have any diseases that will require me to cull them to keep my other birds safe, but only time will tell. If they come through winter well I will build them their own coop.

2. JanetMarie

JanetMarie Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 23, 2014
    Michiana
    Thank you for rescuing and taking care of them. I would do the same thing, as anyone who cares about creatures other than humans would. Those spurs are very long!

3. Pyxis

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    Thanks! There have already been hiccups in caring for them. I accidentally nicked the quick on the red hen when trimming her one of her nails and had to frantically stop the bleeding with flour. Plus, I don't have any sort of heated water dish for them and when I went to TSC to get one they were all sold out, so I had to order one on Amazon and it doesn't come in until Wednesday so currently their water freezes on them overnight. But, despite that they're doing okay. I'm sure they'll feel much better once the mites are gone, too.

4. Pyxis

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    The little guys left me a gift today:

[​IMG]

So it seems my efforts are being appreciated. This is going to go into my incubator. I'll give it until my shipped eggs get in before I set it to see if I get any more.

1 person likes this.
  5. Meegs1969

Meegs1969 New Egg

Jan 2, 2017
    Adelaide Australia
    Well done!! They have a chance at happiness at least- if they are sick then at least you tried [​IMG] Yes it's have just discovered 2 of my girls have the leg mite thing - heading to the fodder shops today to get treatment

6. JanetMarie

Oct 23, 2014
    Michiana
    An egg is always a good sign of recovery.

7. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

You're an angel for rescuing them,thank you. They are very pretty birds too. Who would dump an animal like that, its beyond me! [​IMG] Enjoy your new babies.

8. Pyxis

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    Thank you!

No more eggs, just the one so far, but their heated waterer has been installed so that'll make my life easier and them happier I'm sure. I'll be putting that egg in my incubator tomorrow.

No signs of illness so far so :fl that they are healthy.

9. JanetMarie

Oct 23, 2014
    Michiana
    You're going to just hatch one chick by itself, or do you have other eggs to put with it?

10. Pyxis

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    I've got other eggs to put in with it :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by