Rescue Pigeon

HouseCat

Songster
7 Years
Apr 28, 2012
Northern Michigan still-house
I recently found a lost racing pigeon wandering down Main Street 2 days ago. I brought him home, fed and watered him, and got on PigeonTalk (pigeons.biz) to track down the owner using the band info as well as find out basic pigeon care. I found out he was registered to the Canadian Racing Pigeon Union and that he is over 450 miles from home. I contacted the owner while he was at work and talked to his wife. She said that the pigeon has been missing for over 3 weeks. She told me that her husband would likely tell meto let it rest up for a few days and release it and it should find it's way home. She told me that she would have him call me but I've heard nothing. The weather has been really crappy here in Northern Michigan- high winds, freezing rain, and snow. The bird is not even a year old and I refuse to put him back outside to fend for himself. I would gladly hold on to him for as long as it took for the owner to make his way up here but I got the impression that it didn't really matter if they got him back. He's in a 48lx30wx32h dog crate right now with his water, food, grit, and oyster shell. I also put a roost in there for him but he prefers to sleep on the pile of rags I placed in the corner.
I have so many questions I don't know where to start. In the mean time, here are some pics of my new little buddy.

Last edited:
The funniest thing is when I reach in his cage to pick him up, he walks up, sticks his chest out, and tries to shove my hand around while he holds onto my thumb. It's like he's play-wrestling with me. What a little goofball.

Back
Top Bottom