Rescue remedy question

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chicknmania, Jul 31, 2011.

1. chicknmania

chicknmania Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    central Ohio
    We have a hen with one chick, It is her first one and this hen is a witch. They are in a small pen and we would like to transfer them to a bigger one, but Jezebel (the hen) is making it a challenge to do anything with her or her baby, even feed and water them. I wondered if Rescue Remedy in the water would make her more relaxed, and possibly easier to handle, and would it hurt her and/ or the baby if we use the RR over a period of weeks? She charges us with beak, claws, and wings flailing whenever we open the door. It also scares and is probably influencing the chick. Baby is too small probably to let go free range with the moher, as we have a fair amount of predators around and no clue how long mama would protect baby, but we do want to keep them together so mama can hopefully show baby what to do when they do go out to free range. So....bottom line, is Rescue Remedy ok to give over an extended period of time, or at least a couple days a week over the next few weeks?

This hen has never been friendly btw, always nasty around people, so I doubt hormones have much to do with it.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2011
  2. tammye

tammye Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2010
    NH
    yes it would be fine a few times a week. I was told when I got chicks to give them electrolyte solution in their water to promote good health. Mom is probably hungry and nasty, so it may help her feel stronger.

3. chicknmania

Jan 26, 2007
    central Ohio
    Thank you. She has calmed down a lot now but still doesn't let us handle her.

4. greenkjb

greenkjb Out Of The Brooder

Aug 13, 2010
    Since Rescue Remedy is just flower essence I think it would be very safe for your mama hen. FYI they make rescue remedy for pets now too. It is probably the same but you might want to check it out. Hope it helps!

5. chicknmania

Jan 26, 2007
    central Ohio
    That is what we have the pet kind. It works well for the dog.

6. appychick

appychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2009
    Anybody out there ever tried the cell salt Kali Phos on nervous birds? I have used it on other species with success but never had any poultry that needed it ????

7. stoopid

stoopid Chicken Fairy Godmother

Aug 3, 2011
    Long Island, NY
    I don't know if dosing her with anything will do any good... she's just being a good momma. Even if she is a b*tch.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2011
  8. cindylo

cindylo Out Of The Brooder

Jun 2, 2011
    Idaho Falls, ID
    I've never tought of Rescue Remedy for attack chickens - but I use it with my 12 yr old Sheltie! It's the human version. Maybe I need some too.

9. Squirrelgirl88

Squirrelgirl88 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2011
    Central Ohio
    The Rescue Remedy for pets is NOT alcohol based like the regular Rescue Remedy.

10. chicknmania

Jan 26, 2007
    central Ohio
    Quote:[​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by