Rescue Remedy

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chickieeb, Dec 21, 2016.

1. chickieeb

chickieeb Just Hatched

Nov 29, 2016
    I have a new roo i added to my flock of hens around same age and he seems depressed. Hes been here for a few weeks now and is timid around the girls and will let them boss him around. He will eat and drink when they are somewhere else and keeps to himself staying inside the coop. Im wondering if the pet version of rescue remedy would help him and if so how many drops? If not what else can i try?

2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    What age is the flock? If he is a cockerel, then I'd say he already has some good manners and in his own good time, he will gain the respect of the girls. You could always add a feed station to allow him greater access to food but as long as he is healthy, I'd say you have a great leader in the making.

1 person likes this.
  3. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    X2

Would love to see some photos[​IMG]

If he is young, then the hens may be keeping him in line. Once he is older he will establish himself within the flock.

In my limited experience with a rooster, he lets the girls eat first. Mine is adult, but anything I bring/give, the girls get "first dibs". He will eat a bit offered by hand, but if a hen wants what's offered, he steps out of the way. Part of his job is to ensure the hens are taken care of. I rarely see mine chow down with the hens, he usually eats when they are done.

Since he is new and hiding in the coop, check him over well to ensure he has no lice/mites problem or obvious health problems - hopefully you had him quarantine for a period of time and already caught anything like this.

If he is eating/drinking and otherwise seems ok. I would just keep an eye on him, he will come around once older.

Just my thoughts.

As long as you observe

4. chickieeb

chickieeb Just Hatched

Nov 29, 2016
    [​IMG]

5. chickieeb

chickieeb Just Hatched

Nov 29, 2016
    [​IMG]

6. chickieeb

chickieeb Just Hatched

Nov 29, 2016
    [​IMG]

7. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    He's a cute Silkie!

He looks like he is mingling pretty well with the ladies. I think he just needed an adjustment period.

You have a lovely flock[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 2, 2017

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by