1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Rescue this saturday

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by poultryfan73, Aug 29, 2010.

1. poultryfan73

poultryfan73 Songster

Mar 10, 2010
    Tioga County Pa
    I went to the mall near my house and on the way there is a community pond... At the pond there are some white ducks and i think geese. I never had ducks or geese so this is all going to be new.. cant wait though will post pictures when i capture them.

2. paddock36

paddock36 Songster 9 Years

Dec 24, 2008
    Ocala, Florida
    You might want to check with someone before doing that. There is a pond in the city where I work and the city is actually declared a bird sancuary so it's illegal to bother or remove any of the ducks without some type of approval by the city commission. Wouldn't want you to get yourself in trouble.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2010
  3. Same where I live, and it carries a really hefty fine. I don't know how likely it is that you'd be caught, but it is very much frowned upon because it can upset migratory waterfowl channels.

4. poultryfan73

poultryfan73 Songster

Mar 10, 2010
    Tioga County Pa
    Alright im going to do that. Thank you the last thing i want to do is get a fine! [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    In many areas, you are doing everyone a favor by removing NON-NATIVE domestic waterfowl. Now the wild NATIVE species...remove those and you are in big trouble.

6. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    I'd reccommend checking to see if the community wants them "captured". If they are annoyed by them, then offer to take care of it. But if the community enjoys them and you take them, that's basically theft.

Hopefully, the community folks will say you may take them, but do make sure they are domestics.

7. desertdarlene

desertdarlene Crowing 8 Years

Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    I was wondering if there was any kind of organization in San Diego that handles rescuing ducks. I started my own thread about it, but got no responses.

There are a lot of domestic ducks set free where I live, including mostly flightless breeds like Indian runners. Everyone loves them and if one disappeared, I and some other people would be very upset and would think a coyote or bobcat got them. But, if someone got permission to rescue them, I wouldn't mind so much as long as someone lets me and other people know, so I agree with asking whomever manages the pond about taking them.

Good luck!

8. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Capture them?? Why would you do that? You may get in big trouble if you do that.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2010
  9. duckluck

duckluck Dulcimyrh Ducks

Oct 22, 2009
    Illinois
    Quote:They'd have to check with their local authorities, but I doubt it...domestic waterfowl often die of injury, exposure, cruelty or malnourishment if left to fend for themselves. There were many injured domestic geese for quite a while in the local park not far from us.

10. duckluv

duckluv Crowing

Aug 20, 2010
    Ohio
    If it likes peas, it's probably domesticated.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: