Rescue two muscovy baby duck!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by ajesus92, Aug 12, 2014.

1. ajesus92

ajesus92 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2013
    So yesterday I rescue two baby muscovy duck duck about a few days old. There mother died when she was attacked by a dog. I have a broody silkie so I put them under her and she quickly took them in. Now the problem is the fact that they keep trying to run away from her.... I know they know that not there mother but how long will it take for them to accept her as there new mommy?

2. Frank Phinster

Frank Phinster Chillin' With My Peeps

Probably never. The problem is, once imprinted, a duckling will usually not be convinced to accept another bird as its mother, especially when the foster mother is from an entire different species.

It could work with another duck, though. I introduced a runner duckling of the age of about three weeks to my flock, and it followed my runner females around and even snuggled up to them. But that duckling was old enough not to be in need for motherly protection which the girls would not have provided anyways.

I would take them away from the chicken and raise them by yourself under a heat lamp.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2014
  3. ajesus92

Jul 22, 2013
    Ok well I guess it time to raise more duck on my own again! :)

4. farm316

farm316 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2014
    My girl ducks can not figure out that the ducklings are there own kind!! Its kind of funny

5. Frank Phinster

Glad that you want to do this [​IMG] Will you keep them when they are grown up?

Have they hatched their offspring or did you do the job?

6. ajesus92

Jul 22, 2013
    I already raise four that I don't want my neighborhood is full of them so I really don't want them. Once these grow up enough I am going to start free ranging them till they leave on there own let them be free

7. farm316

farm316 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2014
    I raised the four:)

8. ajesus92

Jul 22, 2013
    You want to know something funny the sucky have taken the hen as there mom. When I went to take both of them out to put in my house they cried and she came and peck me and they ran under her. To make sure I set them down and they were following her everywhere really cute.

9. Frank Phinster

Hey, that's really good news! Usually imprinting is only possible in a very short period of time, and I read that graylag goslings are very strict about this - but maybe muscovies are easier to adapt to a new mother.

10. ajesus92

Jul 22, 2013
    Yes they are doing fine

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by