Rescued 2 abandoned baby Pekins from local lake today.

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Sparrow, Apr 22, 2009.

1. Sparrow

Sparrow Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2008
    I am picking up 2 baby Pekins tomorrow who were apparently dumped at the local wildlife park/lake right after Easter. I sent my BF out to the lake(it's right by his house) and he caught them today...they were hungry enough that they walked right up to him and took food from his hand. They are just now getting their downy white feathers in to replace their baby down, and are still peeping. Poor things, it has been cold here at night and it rained a lot last week. [​IMG] Obviously they were unwanted Easter gifts. That scenario makes me really angry, but I'm so happy they are safe now.

I don't know that I have enough space for them in my coop, but I want to ensure a great home for them to spend the rest of their lives in. Is anybody interested in these sweet little babies? If there are no takers here, I will end up keeping them, but I thought I would mention it here first!

2. flopshot

flopshot Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2009
    Quote:that drives me nuts. at least they could wait untill the birds can survive on their own. this Easter chick and duck thing is one tradition i would not mind seeing fade away. good work on your part.[​IMG]

3. crazy cat lady

crazy cat lady Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2008
    NW Illinois
    If I lived closer I would take them. I have 4 little pekins now. Glad your BF was able to rescue them. Poor babies.

4. Chick_a_dee

Chick_a_dee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Peterborough, ON
    im glad you took them in! my cousins mom moved to new zealand this year and just ditched her ducks at the local pond and kept wondering why they came back every week until the day she moved. ugghhh.

5. headred

headred Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2009
    Lawrence
    Would love to take them if I hadn't already taken in 2 that I didn't plan on :) Don't think my coop and run are big enough. Good luck and good for you for taking them in!

6. cowman910

cowman910 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2009
    Suffolk County,NY
    hey sparrow, when was the last time you been to new york? its really nice over here. and i think you work too hard and need vacation. and what could calm you down better then driving here! preferably around were i live!

btw: if you are coming here> do you think you might want to bring a few friends with you.... maybe the two white ones you described before [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by