Rescued 3 baby mallard ducklings last night!

FlowerFarmer

In the Brooder
8 Years
Mar 10, 2011
On our evening walk we rescued 3 baby mallard ducklings.
We currently have a large coop and run for our 4 chicken pullets who are 9 weeks old.
Hoping to raise these ducks with the chickens in the backyard and have them sleep in the coop at night with the chicks
smile.png
We have 4 large nesting boxes (for our 4 chicks = spoiled).
While I know this is possible I was hoping for some suggestions for keeping these ducks happy, as I have been researching chickens a lot and seem to have them down.
I'm curious on what kind of water supply I should have out for the ducks; I was thinking of putting a very small pool (or large bucket) in the ground and filling that with water (but only outside their enclosure will I have room). Would they be okay in a coop without a pool?
I was hoping to feed them the same food... although these ducklings, which seem to be about two days old, are not at all interested in eating feed. Should I try greens like lettice yet (they are wild ).
Are there differences between wild and store bought ducklings?
Do you know if my somewhat large 9 weeks old chickens will bother or harm these tiny ducklings?
I have them in a brooder with a heat lamp... but I will be anxious to put them outside soon (with a lamp at night). I waited until the chickens were almost 6 weeks old.
Any more advise?
Thank you
(and I wish I could post pics they are SO cute!)

Um,

Lets see, very baby ducklings can drown because they are not water proof, when they get really tired -if they can't get out- they down becomes wet all over and they drown) for 100% safety only let them swim supervised and in something they can get out of.

I would use a very shallow pan w/o supervision and be ready to change it multiple times a day.

Some feed stores carry starter or start and grow that is "suitable" for all birds, if the won't take the feed get a bowl with some water and put some feed in it (more water then food) or get some duck weed or (I don't remember I think its kale? )

The chickens may or may not harm the ducklings, depends on the chickens, and ducklings- you will have to watch.

Brooder sounds good, make sure there is a 'cool' side and put the food and water on the border of the cool and hot sides...

I'm not sure it is legal to keep wild mallards in all states, some domestic mallards are 'pinioned' so they will never fly- they ones I got here in FL for a project were not, and could not be told from wild mallards.

I don't think anyone will be able to tell....

They will most likely be more flighty than the general domestic mallard but other than that theres not much difference. Do remember they can fly away though.

Back
Top Bottom