Rescued 4 chickens

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by aims0605, Dec 8, 2014.

1. aims0605

aims0605 New Egg

Oct 6, 2014
    Hello all!

I am somewhat new to all this! So let me start by saying I started rasing 9 chicks in October so they are about 3 moths old now. Yesterday I was at a friends and their neighbor needed some chickens rescued. So I took them with me. I didn't have a chance to look them over, well when I did it today I noticed this weird stuff on of of their combs. Then it got me scared that they have other stuff going on. What do you guys think this is? And should I keep them
    Further away from my current flock? They are in a coop with run on bottom inside my current run with all chickens! Thanks! [​IMG][/IMG]://www.backyardchickens.com/content/type/61/id/6659455/width/200/height/400[/IMG]

2. Pyxis

Pyxis Hatchaholic Extrordinaire Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    :welcome! The picture is really kind of blurry and I can't really make anything out. Can you get a better picture or describe what is going on with their combs that you are worried about? Also, yes, you should always keep new chickens away from your flock for a minimum of three weeks. They can be carrying diseases that they show no signs of so you want to keep them separated and keep an eye on them to make sure they don't start showing any symptoms.

3. aims0605

aims0605 New Egg

Oct 6, 2014
    [​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    It looks like favus, which is a fungus. It doesn't look that serious yet, but it can spread. Apply miconazole or monistat 7 cream to their combs daily, and it should help. Use rubber gloves because it is contagious. Below are pictures of birds with favus.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

5. aims0605

aims0605 New Egg

Oct 6, 2014
    I'm trying to add more pics but having trouble. There's a whiteish raised growth on two of the four hens. The two black ones look like they have a little white and some black dots on them. The brown ones combs sag I don't know if that's normal

6. aims0605

aims0605 New Egg

Oct 6, 2014
    Thank you, I will try that.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by