Rescued a few chickens today!! Pics

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by 19hhbelgian, Jan 27, 2010.

1. 19hhbelgian

19hhbelgian Pigs DO Fly!!

Apr 9, 2009
    New Tripoli PA
    Well, I went with my MIL, to a rescue today. She was going to see a dog (which she wound up taking home [​IMG]), and when we got there, they had a bunch of chickens. Mostly roosters, but a few hens. I took 2 roosters and 2 hens... Well, actually I took 1 rooster and 2 hens. My dearest husband, who says I spend too much time with my chickies as it is, told me he wanted one of the big barred rock roos they had (sucker!!) [​IMG] One hen is a tiny little OEGB, black with some gold here and there, the 2nd hen is what I think is a polish/brahma cross. The 2nd rooster is also a polish/brahma cross (he has feathers on his legs).

The barred rock was actually getting beat up, which is why we picked him - poor guy was bleeding when I picked him up [​IMG] He's a big boy, but is the friendliest next to the little OEGB girl. I'm glad he's friendly since he's the one DH picked out [​IMG]

Sorry the pics aren't better - they are in temporary accommodations right now (we got home after dark, so I put them in the "over night coop".
    Here's DH's big boy. He's really nice looking when he stands up straight, but he knows there's a roof, and feels the need to duck.: [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here are my polish x's:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Darlasmum

Darlasmum Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2009
    La Crescenta, CA
    wow- chicken rescue....good for you

3. SilverPhoenix

SilverPhoenix Bantam Fanatic

Dec 15, 2009
    Penn Valley, CA
    Great find! Good for you, taking in some rescue birds. And for the dog finding a home, too! [​IMG] I'd love to see a picture of the OEGB hen when you get a chance--I love OEGBs! Your new hen that's pictured has such a cute little crest--it looks like a funny hat!

Good luck with your new additions! I hope they adjust well and enjoy their new home.

4. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    How sweet they look and happy to have a new home. If you have birds at home, make sure you quarantine them away from your flock...five them at leasat 30 days. If they are carrying anything, best to find out without infecting your existing flock. You would also want to introduce them slowly.

5. 19hhbelgian

19hhbelgian Pigs DO Fly!!

Apr 9, 2009
    New Tripoli PA
    Yep... They are not going in with my others 'til 30 days has passed. The rescue had had them for a while, so I'm pretty confident they'll be ok, but I'm still going to wait. The 3 big guys are in good weight - the polish x's are solid birds. Actually surprised me when I picked them up! The little OEGB is thin, so she is going to be staying in the shed with her own comfy bed and a heat lamp.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by