Rescued a mallard, what should I do?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Webbigail, Nov 29, 2009.

1. Webbigail

Webbigail Out Of The Brooder

Oct 7, 2008
    Bay Area, CA.
    Someone came to my house saying they saw a duck walking down the street and thought it was one of mine. It wasn't but I went to check it out anyway. I saw this tiny female mallard and a couple teenagers keeping her away from the neighborhood cats. She seemed pretty tame when I went up to her. I was able to catch her and brought her home with me til I figure out what to do. I put her in a pen away from my ducks so she's safe.

There's a duck pond about 3 miles from here, should I release her there? I'm almost tempted to keep her cause shes so cute!

2. chicks4kids

chicks4kids Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Northern Indiana
    If you keep her, are you prepared for a winter of maintenance for a duck?? Although they are cute, they are very, very messy. Is your plan to keep them with chickens or totally seperate housing?? No signs of injury??

3. xke4

xke4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2007
    How tiny? Tiny enough that she needs protecting until she is fully grown? I don't know what the laws are in your state, but some places ( here in Canada for instance) forbid anyone from keeping wildlife such as that. If she does need a bit of time, perhaps a rehabber in your area will take her.

4. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    If she is a wild and let you pick her up, she may be injured. Keep an eye on her and see if you can find a Wildlife cernter near you.

5. eventmerlin

eventmerlin Out Of The Brooder

Nov 25, 2009
    Massachusetts
    She could just be someones young mallard that learned to fly and flew too far..... that happened to my mallard ducks...luckily they walked home [​IMG] I clipped their wings after that..... Most wild mallards would not let you pick them up....mine hate being picked up and they were never wild.

6. chicks4kids

chicks4kids Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Northern Indiana
    Quote:Very good point there eventmerlin!! My male got scared enough one night he flew away ( I thought he got eaten) and a week later, he came back quackin' to his girl who had been calling him for the entire week!

Webbigail, what have you decided to do?

7. chickensducks&agoose

chickensducks&agoose Chillin' With My Peeps

I'd keep her. You already have ducks, one more won't make a huge difference... I probably isn't wild, my mallards are wicked skittish, and won't get picked up... so you must have a WELL TRAINED pet mallard. Maybe put up a few found signs, or put it on CL..... someone is probably missing her. DOn't put her on a pond. poor duckie.

8. Hattiegun

Hattiegun Chillin' With My Peeps

are you sure she's a Mallard.? could she be a female Wood Duck.. I raised a Wood duck that
    was lost as a duckling..she is very friendly and we held her all the time. She lived with us..
    When she was old enough to fly, she found some mallards that were across the lake from us,
    and we are assuming she flew south with them for the winter.. If she were somewhere around
    ppl she may be somewhat friendly but she is a wild duck and we did not try and keep her... I
    agree she may be or was someones pet,, can u get any pics?

9. Bunnylady

Bunnylady POOF Goes the Pooka

Nov 27, 2009
    Wilmington, NC
    How tiny is "tiny?" She might even be a gray Call, they look like mallards. I agree with the others, this girl needs to stay with you until you know a bit more about what's going on with her. Pics would be nice. . . [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 2, 2009
  10. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    If it was a wild mallard, no way would you be able to just pick it up unless it is sick or injured.

Can you post a pic?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by