Rescued a Muscovy - Sexing Help.

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by AddictedToQuack, Jan 13, 2015.

1. AddictedToQuack

AddictedToQuack Out Of The Brooder

Jan 23, 2013
    Ontario, Canada
    Morning everyone. I rescued a muscovy yesterday. This duck had shown up at someones front door and spent a night in her veranda. There were no nearby farms and it was in a trailer park on a river which has been frozen over for awhile. It is unlikely that the duck walked or swam to her residence. The lady was more than willing to part with it. I don't raise muscovy's, so I'm not sure about the sex of this bird. Perhaps some of you can help me out? If it flew there, is it likely female? The fleshy carnuckle at the base of its bill makes me think male but its not a huge bird and it doesn't seem to have all the other fleshy face markings i've seen on pictures in this forum. Thanks for any help you can provide. I'm hoping it is female so I have a broody for my other ducks.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I have this duck separate, for the time being, from the rest of my flock. Last night was chilly, -31C. It seemed to fare well in the barrel lined with straw I provided for it. It does hiss a bit if you get too close, but it tolerates me better than my other ducks.

2. veronicasmom

veronicasmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2009
    Send the pics to Miss Lydia, she will know ASAP, she raises muscovies

3. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Looks like a beautiful wild color drake and they are such sweet boys. Wonder if someone dropped him off? You'll have to watch the flesh knob above the bill they are prone to frost bite I put vaseline on my drakes fleshy knobs. He is gorgeous and ducks very seldom carry disease so hopefully he'll be able to meet the flock soon. Go slow though because he is going to be an outsider.

4. AddictedToQuack

AddictedToQuack Out Of The Brooder

Jan 23, 2013
    Ontario, Canada
    Miss Lydia,

Is he a young drake then? Facial carnuckling seems minimal.

I'm not sure who the outsider is. When my 17 other ducks saw the muscovy, they high-tailed it to the duck house and wouldn't come out the rest of the day.

Thanks.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2015

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by