Rescued a mystery chicken!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by BrynneD1, Aug 26, 2013.

1. BrynneD1

BrynneD1 New Egg

Aug 26, 2013
    Can anyone tell me what breed of chicken this might be? We found her wandering around campus lost, pale, and dehydrated (we're in TX and it's over 100 daily right now). We tried to find an owner but couldn't, so we've got her separated at the moment and will add her to our flock of RIRs once we're sure she's not harboring any illnesses. She's not laying yet (I say she, I'm 99% sure this is a hen, no spurs and very docile), and is very sweet.
    Also, could anyone take a guess at her approximate age? I'd guess around 5-6 months?

[​IMG]

2. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    Yes, that's a pullet. Looks like a game bird mix to me.

3. Kev

Kev Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2008
    Sun City, California
    American Game. The color is pullet.. your age guess is same as mine.. Younger than a year old for sure.

However, the legs look a bit long, could be due to young age and has not filled out yet but there are birds known as hennies.. the roosters have female type feathers and coloring.. almost the only difference is the roos are taller and bigger than hens. I'd still guess this to be a pullet based on this pic but would not be too surprised if it turns out to be a henny roo.

4. Chickenlover152

Chickenlover152 New Egg

Jun 24, 2013
    it is definitely a bantam on account of its appearance.

5. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Looks like a game bird mix pullet. Your age guess is probably correct, though I think that the lower number (5 months) is more likely. She doesn't appear to be really close to laying, but will get there soon. [​IMG]

6. BrynneD1

BrynneD1 New Egg

Aug 26, 2013
    Awesome! Thanks everyone for the input! I don't mind if she's a game bird mix as long as she lays me some eggs ;)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by