Rescued a Serema....i think? help me out? More pics added, another ?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by greytmommy, Aug 2, 2011.

1. greytmommy

greytmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2011
    ok, I went to a farm to pick up some young laying hens from a guy that has decided he didnt want to keep chickens anymore. I wanted a couple more to help round out my mixed flock. I just have 12 chickens and we just free range (we have 2.6acres). This guy didnt have horrible conditions....but I personally dont think he gave his chickens enough space. Anyway.....against the house in the shade was a cage....with this TINY hen in it. I am pretty sure she is a Serema. He said he had no idea what she was and got her w/ a big lot of chickens last spring. So for about a year now, that poor girl has been in this tiny cage. It had a wire bottom, NO ROOST, and was just the same height as her. Even though I have NO set up for her, or any idea what to do with her...I couldnt leave her. So I took her as well.

We have decided she cant be outside w/ the others b/c she will get eaten by a predator more than likely...it is just too dangerous. So for now we have convered a decent sized dog kennel for her. I put a roost in (which she already LOVES), a little box for laying her eggs and feeder/waterer. We are planning on getting her a chicken diaper so she can have more run of the house after she is more comfortable with us.

Is there anything special I need to do for this sweet girl? ALL her tail feathers look all broken (I guess from the wire cage?) will those come back in after her molt? What is the best cage set up for her? I dont really want a big rabbit hutch in my house....can I use a regular birdcage??? Any other tips???? She already seems happier b/c she is inside in the A/C....and it has been over 100 degrees for weeks now.

We have decided to name her Angel. Do you think she is a Serema, or maybe a Serema mix??? the first picture has my foot in it so you have a size comparision...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 4, 2011
  2. Ilovetohatch

Ilovetohatch Out Of The Brooder

Jul 25, 2011
    San Diego Ca
    Looks like an old english.

3. wren

wren Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2007
    St Augustine, FL
    Unfortunately, she is a common color for lots of game birds. She could be Dutch, they were the smallest until seremas came along.

4. greytmommy

Mar 26, 2011
    doesnt the poor thing just look pitiful?

I am shocked how easy going she is and how well she has already adapted. I am hoping she will make a nice pet chicken....

5. NC29mom

NC29mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Scotland Neck, NC
    Who cares if shes a Serma or not? She's GORGEOUS! And I am sooooooo GLAD you rescued her!! How sad she has been in a small cage >1yr. People like that make me SICK![​IMG]

She's probably gonna be skiddish for a bit if she's not used to having any kind of companionship. How terrible!!! Please give her all the love in the world........and if she's gonna be a house pet.....I'm sure she will be one spoiled little chicken.

You made my day telling this story.......Such a beautiful chicken with such a beautiful ending.........[​IMG]

As soon as you can, get her something to stay in where she can see out. I hate to think of birds cooped up and not able to see out, but can hear all the noises. It would freak me out!

6. ruthless

ruthless Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2010
    Mount Vernon, Mo
    On my monitor( which is having color issues) her earlobes look white. If so, she may be Dutch bantam which are very small also.

What part of Missouri are you in?

Oh, as far as inside cages..... I have used the rolling rabbit cages, all wire dog crates, large guinea pig or rabbit cages with the solid bottoms and my favorite is a dog exercise pen cause they make nice large cages.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2011
  7. greytmommy

Mar 26, 2011
    she does have white earlobes! I was worried she was sick!

she already VERY sweet. My 7yo was holding her while I tended to her cage...and she fell asleep!

I put pine shavings in the kennel...and she was in HEAVEN! She adored it..scratching all around...i don't think she has ever had that before.

as soon as my hubby is back from his business trip on Friday, we will get her something better.

we are located in a rural area south of St Louis.

8. NorthTexaschick

NorthTexaschick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    Denton area
    She looks so much like my little BBR OE hen, Sweetie Pie! I just love my dainty little girl! She is is so sweet and a wonderful mama, too. (She's hidden twice to set her eggs.) The white earlobes do indicate Dutch but OEs have the white/pink legs. I'm happy for both of you that you took her home!

I don't really think she'd be in any more danger than the others free-ranging. I'd just integrate her slowly so she doesn't get picked on. But you know your surroundings and other critters best.

As for what else you can do for her - spoil her with some mealworms! High in protein and she will gobble them up! [​IMG]

I'm going to be smiling about your post for a while...

9. welasharon

welasharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    You don't have a close up of her legs and feet do you? Are those just color changes or does it look like crud stuck to her legs? I am wondering about scaly leg mites...
    sharon

10. GotGame

GotGame Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2010
    NE of OKC
    That little hen is a bb red old english bantam hen. Their earlobes will go a turquoise/white color when they are laying. A dutch's earlobes are enamel white, not the bluish white you see here.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by