Rescued a young crow a few days ago

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by danischi24, May 11, 2011.

1. danischi24

danischi24 Loves naked pets

Aug 17, 2008
    Australia
    I've always wanted a crow but have never found any live fallen babies because they always nest so high up. I was walking to work a few days ago when I heard a huge racket behind my house & it was a young crow lying on his side & having a seizure. So I took him home. His name is Jake & he still has seizures a few times a day but I think he will live. He's a happy little fellow & likes to sit on my finger & have his head scratched. I have to keep him in a smallish cage though because when he has his fits, he falls off whatever he is on & I don't want him to get hurt. I leave it open when I am home & he sits on the rim. He's a week or so away from fledging & his brother is still up in their palm tree nest stretching & getting ready for his first flight but Jake is gonna be a pet because of his disability. I'm not sure if it's why he fell out his nest or because of the fall but I'll look after him til his day comes. Here are some photos of him:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is what he will look like as an adult:

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 11, 2011
  2. terrilhb

terrilhb Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Georgia
    He is adorable. I hope he makes it. Good luck

3. 10 point

10 point country boy

Feb 19, 2011
    LaFayette, NY
    so jealous

I was wondering if that was a crow untill I looked and saw that your from Isreal

4. dragonjaze

dragonjaze Out Of The Brooder

Oct 2, 2010
    Crows are amazingly smart. If they had thumbs, they would be running the show instead of us.

5. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    Jake is quite adorable. I have been interested in crows recently because of the research on them showing their unique intelligence, but I have never had the chance to befriend one of them. I would be quite interested to hear more about how he does. It sounds like he has taken to you right away.

I took a look at your BYC page. Your dog looks much happier living and working with you than back in Wales. Your chicken, Inbar is fascinating. I have never seen a featherless chicken except for the ones prepared to be eaten.

6. Tam'ra of Rainbow Vortex

Tam'ra of Rainbow Vortex Chillin' With My Peeps

Good luck!
    They're a handful, but such amazing animals.
    I rescued one about 6 years ago. Her name was Toby and she got pushed out of the nest because of a leg deformity which made it impossible for her to learn to perch or walk or fly from up in a tree. All she could do was scoot along with her feet balled up under her by using her wings to drag her body along. After a few weeks on my dining room floor (she hated her cage and my cat didn't bug her, so I just let her roam the linoleum) she learned to stand, then hop, then walk, and eventually fly! My apartment was a bit of a disaster when her boredom and destruction were in full force. Sadly, she was never hand tamed because I got her too late. She liked me, but disliked being handled and never liked strangers. man, you should see the looks on peoples faces whent they walked in the door and something on the bookshelf screamed at them and then flew across the room. Better than any doorbell ever!
    I still miss the little monster. After a few months in my care, she released herself into the wild and I never saw her again. I hope she's doing okay wherever she went!

7. danischi24

Aug 17, 2008
    Australia
    As old as Jake is, he doesn't seem to mind me or the dog-she is very jealous of him but avoids him like the plague to avoid my displeasure. He doesn't like other people though. When I took him to say hello to my boss who was having a BBQ with friends, he crawled off my hand & up my chest (which everyone loved [​IMG] ) & was thoroughly miserable til I took him back home. I need to socialize him more but first I need to get him eating by himself. His aim is way off & he can't figure out how to get the food into his mouth so I force feed most of the time which makes it even more remarkable that he doesn't mind me. He gets soaked dog food & mealworms.

8. cackydoodledoo

cackydoodledoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 7, 2011
    Crazyville, USA
    Wow your crows are much prettier than the ones we have here!! Also don't crows mostly eat carrion and such? Is that what you will feed him or can he live off of seed?

9. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    Oh Jake the special needs crow with bad aim. It is amazing how some animals know that you are there to help - even when they have to be force fed.

10. danischi24

Aug 17, 2008
    Australia
    I was trying to work out what to feed him when I saw the crows dunking their stolen dog pellets in my calf water (they make me nuts with that) so that's what I feed him & add mealworms for variety & protein. The dog food has alot of meat & things like corn so it's awesome for crows. In other parts of the world, I'd buy mynah/softbill food but I doubt it's available here. Crows also eat certain seeds like sunflower but they are mainly carrion eaters as I've noticed when they take out the eyes of dead calves.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by