Rescued abandoned chicken - has white butt, barely eating, watery yellow poo w black pieces

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ShellyByTheSea, Oct 16, 2013.

1. ShellyByTheSea

ShellyByTheSea Out Of The Brooder

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

People moved, left two chickens on their own about a month or more. One isn't doing so well. Hardly moving, white pasty poo on her butt. Researched your great site and she might have vent gleet? I've added ACV to water, have small dish of 0% fat Greek yogurt out with her, going to attempt to wash her with Epsom salts in a bit, added a 'stress' vitamin mixture to another dish of water...BUT I'm just not sure if this is what I am dealing with as I am so new to this...any feedback that helps me with this would be so kind and appreciated.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2013
  2. ShellyByTheSea

What a good girl as I washed her up. Wow. So now a wait and see I guess. She is drinking. While washing her belly/bum...it crossed my mind that it might be a stuck egg. Her eggs have been paper thin, but switched to the laying mesh recently. Could be worms? Don't really know...but she is wash and in my green house with a wood stove fire on to keep her warm. Hope she makes it.

3. choptank330

choptank330 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2012
    Roanoke, Virginia
    I would worm them to be on the safe side. It cant hurt. She hasn't been getting good for the month they were alone feed that could be whats wrong. Glad you rescued them, I am sure they will be back to good health soon.

4. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Worms can sometimes cause runny, strange droppings like your bird is experiencing. I'd worm her with a broad-spectrum dewormer like Safeguard of Valbazen. Continue giving her yogurt, and give her some electrolytes and vitamins too. What is her crop like? Is it hard or squishy? Its always a good idea to check a sick chicken's crop to make sure that it isn't impacted or sour. Feel her abdomen to make sure that she isn't egg bound, either.

5. ShellyByTheSea

Thank you Choptank! I've checked around town where I live and no one has any de-wormer. Called some chicken people too...and no luck. Probably can get some about an hour and a half away. (Yup! very rural!) Would you know of anything that I could start that would be a home-remedy de-wormer? I'll have a search for some ideas as well. She did have an "alien egg" about a couple of weeks ago. I wonder if she has one stuck. Will get a warm hot water bottle and place near her bum. Again...thank you. It's kind of you to take a moment to help me and offer advice.

6. choptank330

Jul 31, 2012
    Roanoke, Virginia
    They say pumpkin seed, garlic, and apple cider vinegar but none worked for me. I would put her in warm water up to her hips and let her sit for about 20 minutes. Massage her abdomen and that will help if she is egg bound. I would isolate her put her in a quiet area that will help if she is egg bound. But nothing helped for mine because it was worms. If you could, I would drive the distance and get the wormer and treat all your chickens. It would probably help all of them. I would treat them as soon as you get the wormer and then 10 days after your first dose redose again and that will kill the eggs that have hatched. Then 14 days after your last dose is when you can start eating the eggs again :)

7. ShellyByTheSea

Hi Wyandottes!
    I feel a little helpless...as I'm not certain what I am 'feeling' for...but will try and check her over. THANKS! Learning curve! I have to look up crop! :) When I was bathing her...I did start to think that I was feeling a hardened area down below her vent...and when I tried to gently massage a bit on both sides she moved away from me. I'll see if I can get the de-wormer sent by courier. Thanks for being there! Shelly

8. choptank330

Jul 31, 2012
    Roanoke, Virginia
    If you want to check her for egg bound, get some gloves and petroleum jelly and stick your finger in her vent about 1 - 1 1/2 inches and see if there is an egg there.

9. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    The wormer you're looking for is cattle, goat or horse wormer and the active ingredient you want is 10 % fenbendazole. It's sold under the names or Safeguard and Panacur and comes in liquid and paste, either one will work, the dose is the same. Valbazen, will also work, but it is more expensive.

-Kathy

10. ShellyByTheSea

I felt what I think is her crop...down from her neck and is about an small finger long...and it is hard as a rock. Impacted crop? More learning to be done! Advice? I'll try too to look this up. Sorry folks as I am so new at this. And THANK YOU. As well, her butt below her vent is hard. On the sides of her vent not so much. Sounds to me that she has a lot going on. I'll call around for de-wormer...Peace and thank you so much. Shelly (Nova Scotia Canada)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by