Rescued abandoned egg

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by hmbrown05, Oct 11, 2015.

  1. hmbrown05

    hmbrown05 Out Of The Brooder

    97
    1
    43
    Sep 4, 2014
    Texas
    I have a broody hen that hatched out 2 of the four eggs she was given. I collected the other two and pht them in the incubator (already running for a different hatch) and candled them this morning. One is not as far along as the other, but still moving (I only gave her three...someone was sneaky), the other looked to have pipped into the air cell. Looked in on it this afternoon and it has externally pipped. I understand that it can take some time, but my main concern is the humidity level and the other eggs. It is currently around 55% on day 15. Will this be high enough for the hatchling? I have 12 other fertilized eggs that are progressing well that I don't really care to sacrifice for one accidental pullet egg, but if I can make it happen with mininal risk to the others I would like to try.
     
  2. AmyLynn2374

    AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

    15,019
    2,498
    416
    Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    If you have to raise the humidity higher for 24-48 hours and the other eggs have decent growing air cells it won't hurt to have it higher for a day or two and then once the little one is hatched drop it back down. I would keep an eye on the other egg and if it gets to the pipped stage higher it again long enough for the chick to hatch and then bring it back down. "too" high or low humidity for a short time is not going to compromise the eggs as long as the air cell is growing good and they loose enough moisture over the period of incubation. Some people start off using a too high humidity and get half way through the hatch before realizing that the air cells are not big enough and they have to run dry for the remainder of the hatch. I hatch at 30% the first 17 days and up it for hatch on the 18th day, but if I had an emergency egg in your situation I would up it to 60-65% without a qualm as long as it wasn't more than 48 hours.

    Have you been incubating at 55% the whole time? If you've been running 55% the entire incubation I would check air cells first and make sure they are big enough before highering anymore though. (I don't like humidity above 45% for the duration. Seen a lot of people loose hatches to the higher humidity over an average.)
     
  3. hmbrown05

    hmbrown05 Out Of The Brooder

    97
    1
    43
    Sep 4, 2014
    Texas
    It has been around 40-55% most of the time per the incubator instructions. I thought that sounded high, but it's my first hatch so I was gunna see how it went. They are not "bought" eggs so it's not a great loss if there is a poor hatch rate. They (the actual incubator eggs) are at 15 days. Would it help you think to dropthe humidity at this point or just see what happens?
     
  4. AmyLynn2374

    AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

    15,019
    2,498
    416
    Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    With the other egg in there, I wouldn't drop it at this point. Kudos to you for going with non expensive eggs to learn what works for you. I see so many people jump in with pricey shipped eggs (which are hard to begin with to get a good hatch) for their first hatch only to have it go wrong.

    I hate the incubator instructions, especially where humidity is concerned. You might be interested in this: http://letsraisechickens.weebly.com...anuals-understanding-and-controlling-humidity to help you figure out what humidity works for you. (If you are not in a high elevation as they do better with a higher humidity.) It's how I incubate and highly recommend it especially for styrofoam bators.
     
  5. hmbrown05

    hmbrown05 Out Of The Brooder

    97
    1
    43
    Sep 4, 2014
    Texas
    Thanks for the info! My bator is the Genesis hovabator with a digital thermostate and hygrometer, but I have found that it's hygrometer seems to be roughly 7 points lower than my digital and analog hygrometer that are both in the bator at egg level.

    I doubt that I will be buying eggs to hatch honestly, unless it's from someone local just to get some more genetic diversity. I just can't justify the cost. I am raising birds to feed my family and help offset cost of feed for the rest of the livestock from egg sales.
     
  6. AmyLynn2374

    AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

    15,019
    2,498
    416
    Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    I know what you mean. All mine have been local. I want showgirls so bad, but can't find any around here and I can't bring myself to paying the price wanted for eggs and have to have them shipped and then be lucky if I only get one or two hatch.
    I want to get the Hovabator 1588. I love the viewing window on it. I use an older LG 9200.
     
  7. hmbrown05

    hmbrown05 Out Of The Brooder

    97
    1
    43
    Sep 4, 2014
    Texas
    I have been impressed with this one so far. The digital thermo/hygrometer I have in there keeps high and low records fr a 24 hour period and it has been very consistent even with fairly wide swings in temp in my house (central Texas during "fall" lol). I think it will be well worth the investment especially when I get the hang of all of the details :)
     
  8. AmyLynn2374

    AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

    15,019
    2,498
    416
    Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    Out of the styro bators they have the best reviews that I have seen and almost everyone I "know" that uses the hovabators love them. I've recently decided that eventually I want to move to Texas...lol

    Once you figure out what humidity range works best for you, I think you'll love it. It's very addicting though...lol
     
  9. hmbrown05

    hmbrown05 Out Of The Brooder

    97
    1
    43
    Sep 4, 2014
    Texas
    Well it made it! Hatch between 12:30 and 1:00am (my little was sick...). Was pretty amazing to get to watch :) It's moving around and mostly dried off. I am going to try and put it back with Momma while it's still dark.
     
  10. hmbrown05

    hmbrown05 Out Of The Brooder

    97
    1
    43
    Sep 4, 2014
    Texas
    Compared to the article you linked, I think my air cells are a little small. Momma has taken the chick back well so far so I have pulled as much water out of the well that I can and I think I am just going to let it run dry (as long as it stays above 25%) until lock down on Thursday. Do you think that's a decent plan?
     

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by