Rescued Baby Chick..Need Info!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Eric Espinoza, May 18, 2017.

1. Eric Espinoza

Eric Espinoza New Egg

May 18, 2017
    Hello! So I rescued a baby chick two days ago and it has been living with me in my room. This is my 1st time owning a bird (let alone a chicken) and I'm seeking info. Firstly what I want to know is it okay for the bird to eat rocks? I take it outside with my dogs and let it peep and peck around and just a few mibutes ago it swallowed a good sized pebble. I read something about it using rocks to help digest food, but im still worried. Additionally, if anyone can provide any further info about the care of a young chicken please feel free to share. I want to make it a chicken coop in my backyard, but it has seperation anxiety (understandably) and I'm not sure if should also get another chicken for company when I do. Any info at all about anything is greatly appreciated as Im new to all of this. Thanks!;

2. SueT

SueT Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2015
    SW MO
    Welcome to BYC! If you post a pic of this chick, we can figure out how old it is and advise you how to care for it. They do eat grit to help digest food.
    Please check out 'articles' and find the Learning Center...you can get a lot of help there as well.
    Good luck!

3. 21hens-incharge

21hens-incharge Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2014
    Northern Colorado
    I agree with SueT.

They are flock animals and require a friend or two. Two is better so if one dies the other is still not alone.

Be sure to feed it chick starter. Many feed stores are selling it in small bags not just the giant 50 pound ones. A 50 pound bag would spoil before you got even part way through with just the one to 3 chicks. Even if it is not a tiny chick the starter won't hurt it while you get some pics so we can help figure out age and such.

4. BlueBaby

BlueBaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Walmart even sells the 5 pound bags of chick starter, if you don't live close to a feed store.

21hens-incharge likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by