Rescued Baby Meat Hen (for a pet)..WHEN CAN I PUT HER OUTSIDE?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by lisa new chickens, Nov 29, 2010.

1. lisa new chickens

lisa new chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2010
    I posted a few weeks back asking when I can put "Trixie", my rescued meat hen outside. She is almost fully feathered out, except for her head and neck. She is 5 to six weeks old and in a large brooder cage in my room. she goes out to a chicken cabin with run everyday until dusk, then I bring her in. I have 3 more chickens, Bantams seperate in another coop and run. i let them all free range everyday together. Trixie is still nervous of the other chickens (she thinks I am her mom). Should I just put her in the cabin or big coop with the others at night? It gets to 35 to 40 degrees some nights, I am in georgia. I do not have a light in the coop, I am thinking I need one. We love this little chick, but i HAVE to get her out of the house! She is getting big, almost as big as my Bantams...HELP!...When should I put her out?

2. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

Is it a Cornish Cross pullet? If it is, they require special feeding. 12 hours on and 12 hours off. Did you already know that?

3. they'reHISchickens

they'reHISchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2008
    Reading
    Bantams are much mightier than their size suggests so they will certainly pick on your little big girl. Can you put a smaller cage inside the coop to protect her? I would watch her feathers and body language as the temperature drops to see if she is cold or not. Also, remember that if you do not get her accustomed to the cooler temps she will never adjust.
    I would be leery of becoming too attached to her because meaty birds often have heart problems due to their breeding and don't live long ( 8-12 weeks). You may be lucky and have her live years, but odds are not on her side.

4. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Lisa, can you put your brooder cage in your coop so she is protected from the other birds?

I took the light away from all my chicks, cornish X and layers at around 3 weeks old; but that was during the summer when temps. were murder.

Start by taking the light off of her now and I'd say if you don't get a bad cold snap (below freezing), in about a week you could put her out there; but only if she is protected from the other birds picking on her and isn't exposed to drafts.

You also need to be getting her outside during the day. She needs exercise and time away from the food dish if she is going to do well.

Good luck to you. My CXs are close to 6 months old and all laying now.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by