Rescued chick-what breed? -- Update - 6/12 new pics - breed guesses?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by CatKai, Mar 28, 2011.

1. CatKai

CatKai Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2010
    USA
    I got this chick on Thursday last week. I went to get Easter Egger's and Barred Rocks and spotted this little one getting stomped by larger chicks and struggling to get to food/water. So I asked the feed store owner if I could buy it, he gave it to me. I asked what breed it was and he told me Leghorn, I then asked what all those other chicks in that same bin were that had the label of Leghorn... I just wanted to see what answer I was going to get and he then said he just did not know. This was the only chick out of loads of them that looked this way - color. It has a single comb. This chick is lop sided and has lost it's eye on the right side. I know it came from Privett hatchery. I am hoping for a pullet and would love to have an idea of her breed. Not sure if she was mashed in shipping or came this way from the hatchery but she is doing well so far.

I think the lack of the yellow color on her right side is due to her injury, there was a lot of damage on her right side... Not sure if the color looks black or gray but she's gray.

Thanks,
    Kim

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 12, 2011
  2. mother o' chicks72

mother o' chicks72 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2011
    Portland, Oregon
    no idea on breed but she's really cute! good thing you rescued her. I think it's sweet of you to favor her good side (the one with the eye) in all your photos.

3. CatKai

Jan 21, 2010
    USA
    Sure is a tough little thing, I was not sure it would live thru the 1st night. Calling it a she unless I hear otherwise [​IMG] But she's done well and has been able to eat/drink with no trouble. I guess losing the eye so early it was not much of an adjustment for her. Didn't really see any point in showing off her injured side... I think she's cute no matter what [​IMG] Really sweet little thing too [​IMG]

4. mother o' chicks72

mother o' chicks72 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2011
    Portland, Oregon
    she is so cute. i love her coloring too.

5. JustClucky

JustClucky Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2011
    TX
    I have no idea but she's a doll and you're so great for rescuing her!

6. justbugged

justbugged Head of the Night Crew for WA State

Jan 27, 2009
    Enumclaw
    I am thinking that with the chick being so much smaller than the other chicks in the bin, that you have a banty. If so the most likely option for breed would be an Old English.

7. angelbabyamy

angelbabyamy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2011
    Myrtle Point, OR
    When I was younger, my mother's silkies were attacked by the neighbor's dog. One of the roos survived, but lost sight in one eye. We had to take the food and pile it up to feed him, because he pecked off to the side!

8. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    How sweet of you!

Based on what Privett has available, I'd say you might have an Exchequer Leghorn.

9. CatKai

Jan 21, 2010
    USA
    I don't know that I will hear back I guess but I e-mailed Privett and asked if they could give me their opinion. Thanks everyone!

Kim

10. kcaywood

kcaywood Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2010
    Rancho Cordova, CA
    Absolutely adorable! Good luck with her. Below is a picture of my Exchequer chicks for comparison. Only one made it, but the one that did is a gorgeous pullet - named Gorgeous!

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by