Rescued chick with dislocated hip

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by GatsbysGirl, May 19, 2011.

1. GatsbysGirl

GatsbysGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2011
    Central Illinois
    I have recently rescued a 4 day old chick with a dislocated hip. I originally thought it was a broken leg and splinted it but the more I examine her I think it is dislocated. Does anybody have any suggestions? My vet kind of just went "hmm" and I am trying to find any info that I can. She's eating/drinking/moving about ok but has trouble with that leg going out from under her. She has become quite spoiled in our house so I hope there is something I can do for her. Thanks for any advice.

2. Clay Valley Farmer

Clay Valley Farmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2010
    Tape the two legs a normal distance apart with a fabric bandage. That should help bring the leg into place so things can develop normally. DO it ASAP though because if you leave it like that for long it will never be right as chicks grow so fast it will literally grow deformed. It's worth a shot but trying to fix a splayed leg does not always work out.

3. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
  4. GatsbysGirl

May 19, 2011
    Central Illinois
    Thank you so much! Now that I read up on it I'm thinking splay leg. I will try chick hobbles tonight and see if that helps.

5. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    [​IMG]

6. GatsbysGirl

May 19, 2011
    Central Illinois
    Yay! Thank you Miss Lydia. The difference is night and day. "Luna" can stand and now walk a few steps with her hobbles on! I made a 9 year old girl very happy!

7. SpeckledHills

SpeckledHills Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2008
    Idaho/Utah
    Quote:Site update: If itÂ’s of any help to anyone in the future, the Poultry Podiatry website on chicken orthopedics & leg problems has moved to the new location linked in my sig line below.

Very glad the site is being of help!

8. lhammond

lhammond Just Hatched

Apr 5, 2015
    Hi,

Did you happen to take any pictures of the chick wrapped up? I thinkI have a similar problem with a eek old chick and want to help her.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by