Rescued chicken- Need help with Breed, Gender and approximate age?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Priscilla1, Nov 19, 2016.

1. Priscilla1

Priscilla1 New Egg

Nov 19, 2016
    Hi everyone,
    So I am brand new to chicken owning, this just happened last weekend where an injured bird got stuck in our bushes trying to fly over the chicken wire fence into our yard. Looks like she escaped some sort of animal attack had some scratches and feathers missing on back near tail and neck but injuries not life threatening. We thought it was one of the neighbors chickens and brought her over there they said it was not theirs and had no clue where she came from either but would take her in. The next morning we woke up to her actually making it through our bushes and over our chicken wire fence into our front yard. It just seemed like she choose us for some reason and not knowing where she came from letting her stay out there would be a death sentence with all the wildlife around here. So long story short my husband and I bought a chicken coop and we are taking care of her now and she is looking much better just after one week! Hopefully it is a she!

A side note we let her free range the front yard during the day and she did get out over the fence again without us knowing and I was thinking maybe she will go back to where she came from I feel bad if I stole someone's chicken but she back to us and in her new coop that night.

Can anyone please tell me estimate of breed, gender, and age?
    Thanks!

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 19, 2016
  2. PoultryQueen101

PoultryQueen101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2014
    Middle-East Ohio
    White Leghorn hen I beliebe. Her comb is on the small side and her legs are bright yellow so she isnt laying.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2016
  3. Priscilla1

Priscilla1 New Egg

Nov 19, 2016
    Thanks for the Reply! My inkling was towards Leghorn just from looking at pictures online and her personality. What kind of feed do you think she should be on then? I have her on grower right now, do I switch to layer once she lays the first egg?

4. ECSandCCFS

ECSandCCFS Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2013
    Georgia
    You could feed layer at this point, since she looks close to laying that first egg, but it is fine to feed grower now, too, so long as you switch to layer after the first egg or two. It's your decision. It may be a good idea to get her another hen or two for companionship, since chickens are flock animals.

5. Priscilla1

Priscilla1 New Egg

Nov 19, 2016
    Thanks for the info, I might switch her on layer soon then. I am planning to get chicks this spring but maybe I can find another young hen now to keep her company.

1 person likes this.
  6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    you can also put out a separate container of crushed oyster shell. If she feels the need for more calcium she will take it free choice.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by