1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Rescued Chicken - What Gender?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by NCchicken, Jun 14, 2011.

1. NCchicken

NCchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2010
    Hi all! I have a rescued chicken that was given to me today. The lady who rescued her said that it was cornered in a yard by a dog. The woman, who rescues all kinds of birds, said that she has had s/he for about 4-5 weeks and when she first got it it was mostly all yellow down. So I guess it is around 5-7 weeks old right now. Is it a hen or roo? And if you want to guess breed, go right ahead. DH said I can not keep it if it is a roo...so please...[​IMG] hopefully it is a hen. Thanks!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. sfw2

sfw2 Global Menace

No clue on the breed, but it looks girlie, to me.

3. oesdog

oesdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2010
    Ireland
    I am sooo bad at guessing about chickens - but I think it may be a little roo boy. - Sorry!
    Not at all sure what it is. I think Mrs. Fluffy Puffy would be able to tell you what it is better than me she is very good at that kind of thing!

sorry I think Boy. - Dh looked at it says he thinks HEN so you could be ok!!!!!! I was looking at the tail all up but now I can see none of the feathers point down. Lovely little pea comb. All my ones with Pea combs turned out to be Hens!!!!! Wish I knew what she/He is?

Oesdog - [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 14, 2011
  4. Badbaby05

Badbaby05 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2011
    That is a girl [​IMG]

5. ninabeast

ninabeast Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    Upstate New York
    I vote pullet.

6. NCchicken

Sep 8, 2010
    Thank you all so much for your votes! I am just hoping to have a few more pullet votes (hopefully) and I will feel much better about reasuring Dh that it is indeed a pullet. [​IMG]

7. okiehen

okiehen Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2007
    Oklahoma
    pullet

8. starryhen

starryhen Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2010
    We'll see. I vote hen because of the lateral posture, the lack of comb and the kind eye. I could be totally wrong. I also guess leghorn/barr rock cross.
    I have 3 Barr Rocks, 2 Americauna, 2 Black Australorp Banties, 1 very fat old Red Cap and a very smart and wise young Easter Egger cross rooster who adopted us,
    observes the rules and has earned a lovely little harem.

9. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    That little cutie patooty is a girl! Lucky you!

10. NCchicken

Sep 8, 2010
    I was thinking something crossed with a barred rock too because of the messy lacing. So far the vote is pullet! I was thinking pullet too because of the lack of "showy feathers" (kinda plain looking), and I looked in the shoulders to see if any were hiding and nothing was there! Also, the lack of downward tail feathers too. I sure hope she turns out to be a she! Thanks again everyone!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by