rescued chicks from a dark barn SNEEZING !

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by 6chicks&aduck, Jun 20, 2011.

1. 6chicks&aduck

6chicks&aduck Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2009
    S E North Dakota
    I WENT TO THIS FARM TO BUY SOME 5 WEEK OLD CHICKS AND I GO IN THE BARN AND THEY ARE IN THE DARK , NO LIGHTS , FILTHY GROSS WATER, AND VERY CROWDED , ANYWAY I TOOK ABOUT AN HOUR AND PICKED OUT THE THE BEST 7 I COULD FIND HEALTH WISE AND W GOOD WIEGHT , ENDED UP W 2 STANDARD BUFFORPS AND 5 MIXED BANTAMS , now when i got them home i noticed the buff orps nostrils were crusty and they were snezing , i have them seperate from the bantams and have been treating them w tylan 50 since fri they are getting better ,

but how many day do i treat them for ?

2. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    I've never experienced this, but from what I've read, this doesn't ever go away. They are carriers for life.

3. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
  4. earthmama24

earthmama24 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 20, 2011
    Charleston
    Please see my post on this subject. Even if it is not specifically corzya, the treatment options I discuss will still help. If they do have something like coryza, they could in fact be carriers for life and exposing them to any other chickens will result in that chicken getting sick. Learned this the hard way and lost one chicken through the learning process! Now I have a flock of coryza carriers and can only increase my flock through hatching.

Hope this info helps!

[http://earthmama24.blogspot.com/2011/03/natural-treatment-of-infectious-coryza.html]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by