1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Rescued Chicks

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by MaMaFirst, Oct 24, 2013.

1. MaMaFirst

MaMaFirst New Egg

Oct 24, 2013
    Lodi, Ohio USA
    Hello! I currently have a goat herd with my mom. We raise and breed Nubians. I am fairly new to the venture but my mom has been doing this for 20+ years. I just got my first doe in the spring and bred her as a yearling about 6 weeks ago. She was born on New Years Day. My husband and I had talked about getting chicken but were waiting to learn more and get set up for them. So much for intended plans.....someone brought us 3 chicks that are still feathering. Not sure how old they are but they were in bad shape. There were originally 5 that appeared out of no where. The weather started to get old and 2 were found dead. I had no clue what to do with them but I knew they couldn't be left out like they were. My hubby and I took them in and I called a good friend of mine who raises chickens. I followed her advice and all 3 chicks perked up by the end of the day. This is day 2 and they are doing very good. Their feathers had been tattered but they have been cleaning them and milling around their box. They are starting to take on a shiny sheen. They always chirp to greet me when I walk into the room and are calm and cool when I do anything in their space but they went crazy my hubby tried to take care of them. Lol! I guess they are my birds. I'm quickly falling in love. They have gently lulled me to sleep with their soft chatter the last couple nights. I look forward to learning more about them and building them space to transition outside. My 17 month old son doesn't know what to think of them but he loves to watch.

2. jmandawn

jmandawn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2013
    Palmer, Alaska
    Chicks are an ADDITION are you are now hooked!

Welcome to the site. Lots of great info and peeps here to help you along. Don't be afraid to ask any questions.

3. AK Baha

AK Baha Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2013
    Anchorage, Alaska.
    Hello and welcome.[​IMG] Enjoy your new found love. I have a felling you are about to learn chicken math. [​IMG][​IMG]

4. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    Welcome to BYC! You will have a large flock in no time lol.

5. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you joined us! [​IMG]

6. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome to BYC! Check out some of the articles in the BYC Learning Center, there are some good ones on chick care. They are quite addictive little things, you'll have a lot of fun with them.

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG] go to the "Raising backyard chickens" forum and you will find tabs for raising chicks etc. Sounds like your chicken friend will get you thru thick and thin too

8. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! Happy you joined!

9. All Henned Up

All Henned Up Muffs or Tufts

Welcome and enjoy!
    Steve.[​IMG]

10. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Welcome to BYC [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by