rescued cochin pair - worms, mites/lice & scaly leg

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ki4got, Apr 8, 2012.

1. ki4got

ki4got Hatch-a-Holic

Apr 24, 2011
    Roanoke VA
    ok well i dosed them both yesterday for the worms with ivermectin (injectable). the equivalent of 1 ml/100 lbs with 10% dilution using hummingbird nectar concentrate (.1 ml ivermectin, 10 ml of nectar, and dosed at .1 ml per pound)

i use the hummingbird nectar because it's sweet, and ivermectin doesn't dissolve well in water but is held in suspension in a propylene glycol/glycerine suspension, so the sugars mix well and they don't object because it's sweet.

they also both had baths last night to remove turd clods from their vent areas and feet (the hen lost 1 toenail and may lose another).

they're in a 2x4x18" high brooder box i use for chicks (wire front, the rest is wood) since i don't want them anywhere near my other birds yet.

here's my question. i know the ivermectin will help with internal parasites, but will the oral dose do much for the mites/lice or scaly foot? or should i treat those externally? I only have ivermectin injectable and sevin dust (5%) right now.

2. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    I use Ivermectin drop on and I know that treats lice and mites so I would think the oral does, too. But rubbing their legs with a little vegetable oil to suffocate the leg mites wouldn't hurt.

3. ki4got

ki4got Hatch-a-Holic

Apr 24, 2011
    Roanoke VA
    here's a pic of the pair, she's real pale and i'm guessing maybe a bit anemic. i noticed she also breathes from her beak sometimes. I bought the pair because i love the roo. i'm not a frizzle fan, but hate to see birds suffering, so i'm trying to get them back up to snuff.

when i asked age, i was told the hen was about a year old. thinking the roo is a bit older. she was kind of evasive about the answer. no biggie tho, i'm not against using 'seasoned veterans' LOL
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 8, 2012
  4. ki4got

ki4got Hatch-a-Holic

Apr 24, 2011
    Roanoke VA
    actually i've got mineral oil, forgot about that. I don't have veg oil, i use butter or spray on LOL.

the ivermectin pour on, do you know what the % ivermectin is? I'd hate to over/under dose them with what i've got. the injectible is 1%. and how much do you use?

5. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    They are a good looking pair, but wow she does have a pale comb. It's good of you to get them into prime condition.

The box says 5mg Ivermectin/ ml. I didn't see anything stated in terms of percent, but that gives you an idea.

6. ki4got

ki4got Hatch-a-Holic

Apr 24, 2011
    Roanoke VA
    ok i did some more research... the pour on doages is
    Quote: and the injectable says
    Quote: so basically i'd use 2.5 times the oral dose, as a spot on.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2012
  7. ki4got

ki4got Hatch-a-Holic

Apr 24, 2011
    Roanoke VA
    once the parasites are gone, they'll go back outside in a pen of their own, and once they're acclimated (usually 2-3 weeks) will be allowed to free range, so that should help bring them back into condition pretty quick. i seriously doubt she's laying right now, and want them back in shape before i try collecting eggs to hatch.

any other suggestions for getting them back in shape?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by