Rescued Deformed Ducks

CarlBird

Hatching
Aug 29, 2020
Tonight my husband and I were out at the lake. We noticed a pair of juvenile ducks that looked to have deformed wings. Their wings we small, they couldn’t fly. I looks like one of them has been chewing and plucking at the feathers at the end of their wings.
A bad storm was coming in with high winds. All the other ducks were flying off to take shelter, but these two were huddled together on the boat ramp. We decided to bring them home.
We want to do what we can to help them. What should we do? Take them back after the storm passes? Keep them and care for their injury/deformity? How?
C87F8450-61BF-4747-8DA1-27AFAE1FBF2C.jpeg
CD8A79F5-32E3-4D8F-9F28-E19A9CC64F35.jpeg
A01C0829-2C90-4773-8AB5-A8B162E6784A.jpeg

they’re wings don’t look deformed, they are just young and getting their adult feathers. they are no more than 5ish weeks old. you could either adopt them or find someone to rehome them to, but going back to the park isn’t an option or they’ll die

The big one is a muscovy, so it's not a wild duck (well, unless you have feral muscovies where you are, but even still, it wouldn't be a native species unless you're in Mexico). The little one is probably a muscovy, too.

Those feathers you're seeing are new wing feathers growing it. These are babies who are too young to even be able to fly. Very likely someone dumped them on the pond.

Don't take them back to the pond. It's likely illegal for you to release them again. If you can't keep them yourself as pets, see if you can find someone who would take them in to keep. If you're anywhere near me, I'd take them.

The little one might still need heat, since it doesn't have feathers. Do you have a heat lamp you could use for them? You'll also want to get them some food. You could buy duck or chick starter from a feed store tomorrow, once they open.

The big one is a muscovy, so it's not a wild duck (well, unless you have feral muscovies where you are, but even still, it wouldn't be a native species unless you're in Mexico). The little one is probably a muscovy, too.

Those feathers you're seeing are new wing feathers growing it. These are babies who are too young to even be able to fly. Very likely someone dumped them on the pond.

Don't take them back to the pond. It's likely illegal for you to release them again. If you can't keep them yourself as pets, see if you can find someone who would take them in to keep. If you're anywhere near me, I'd take them.

The little one might still need heat, since it doesn't have feathers. Do you have a heat lamp you could use for them? You'll also want to get them some food. You could buy duck or chick starter from a feed store tomorrow, once they open.

definitely don’t take them back. they were dumped and will not survive.
x2, those are not wild ducks.
@Miss Lydia
@Isaac 0

This is a question for someone with experience- In a pinch, can young ducks eat cooked oatmeal mashed up with a boiled egg? I’ve heard that’s ok for chicks, but ducks have some different dietary needs. Just in case @CarlBird needs a stand-in for duckling crumbles/chick starter

This is a question for someone with experience- In a pinch, can young ducks eat cooked oatmeal mashed up with a boiled egg? I’ve heard that’s ok for chicks, but ducks have some different dietary needs. Just in case @CarlBird needs a stand-in for duckling crumbles/chick starter
yes that would be fine for a night or two, just not a main feed

Yes we have a heat lamp for them. They seemed to like that a lot. We will be going to get some food today. For now we have given them some small chopped apple, carrots, and some of the bird feed pellets that we have for our parrot. They like the Apple, but it’s obviously not what they need long term

Thank you all for your help. We are going to keep them. We love animals, and are happy to add to our zoo. We just wanted to make sure that was what was best for them. We are happy to hear they aren’t deformed.
The white one is not as mobile as his little brown friend. He seems to kinda limp when he walks, though we can see any obvious injuries. He isn’t as vocal either. Other than that the doesn’t act sick, but we are still concerned. They are obviously very attached, and if one of them didn’t make it we worry for the other. Thoughts?

Back
Top Bottom