Rescued Dogs

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by k0xxx, Jun 3, 2008.

1. k0xxx

k0xxx Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2008
    North Central Arkansas
    I'm a sucker for hard luck stories. We are now keeping three rescued dogs. We have been able to find homes for eight over the last few years, but these are the ones we kept.

This is Shilo, our beauty queen. A german shepherd - lab mix weighing in at 90 lbs.
    [​IMG]

Oddball, our protector. A chow - lab mix. She warns us of squirrels, turtles, blowing leaves, etc.
    [​IMG]

Rex, the one-eyed wonder pup. A border collie - lab mix. Rex had been kicked and his eye injured when we found him He would growl at your feet every time you walked by. Now, you have to push out of your way with your feet. We had to have the eye removed. His is about the sweetest lap dog that you can find.
    [​IMG]

That dang lab got around. Anyone else care to post pics of their rescued dogs?

Mark

2. blue fire

blue fire Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2007
    Murfreesboro, TN
    This is barney we got him from a Humaine shelter, If that counts, and... he does not realy do anything acutualy. He did growl at a vacume salesman once though! [​IMG] I was so proud of him!!

[​IMG]

3. ZooMummzy

ZooMummzy Queen of the Zoo

Mar 31, 2008
    Philomath, Oregon
    Awww great looking dogs! Love the bathtub pic [​IMG] I was involved in fostering rescued dogs a couple years ago and ended up keeping 5 [​IMG] I'm struggling with having to euthanize the oldest one now since his quality of life is zero. Even knowing this and knowing I gave him 2 years longer than he would have had, it's still gut wrenching for me. It doesn't matter how many times you do it, it never gets easier.

4. AngelzFyre

AngelzFyre Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2007
    Pell City, Alabama
    Bless both of you for taking in these sweet "angels"!!

I've only ever bought TWO dogs in my lifetime..the rest are all sort of misfits or pets that noone else wanted or we inherited when we moved here. We have 5 sweetheart dogs now(plus 6 cats *all rescues!*), including a Pomeranian rescue and puppy, 2 Labrador retrievers, 1 *inherited* Border Collie mix that they left here when they moved. Took us 3 weeks to even get near her [​IMG], but now we couldn't do without any of them, and I get emails/calls daily asking to help place others. I am fortunate to say I do find homes for most.
    We're in a rural area and people drop off dogs and cats regularly. So God Bless you two and all the others who take them in and give them loving forever homes!

5. chickbea

chickbea Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2007
    Vermont
    Yay! I always adopt senior shelter dogs and I've never been disappointed.

6. pinkfeather

pinkfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 3, 2007
    CT
    We have 3 rescue dogs. 2 beagles and a beagle mix. Cassie was our 1st one. She was 9 months when we got her (she's 10 years old now), and she is the best fox chaser, chicken guarder! Chloe was our second one we got October 06 when she was 5 to 6 years old. We got her at our town pound. She was abused and growled alot. Every time you would come near her, she role over on her back like "don't beat me." She was scared of men the most, and was very scared of belts. She's gotten alot better, but still growls if you goo goo her too much. [​IMG] She's scares of animals too (goats, chickens, and most of all, guinea pigs), but will go into our woods for hours chasing rabbits. And then Cookie. We got her this January and she's about 10 years old. She's the sweetest to humans, but the worst with the animals. She seemed over weight and sick when we got her. When we took her to the vet, they said she had 2 tick diseases, heartworms, and an ear infection. She was very lethargic, but now she's alot better. She plays with Chloe, gets into the garbage, checks out the neighbors yard, etc. Just the way a beagle should be!

7. Frizzledhen

Frizzledhen Spear Gunnin' Coons

Feb 17, 2007
    Michigan
    Quote:Adopting from a shelter is deffinately a rescue. Especially if the shelter sells to research or PTS in an in humane manner (gasing).
    I have fostered and found homes for 70 unwanted dogs. It is a heart wrenching job but so rewarding every time one goes to it's forever home. The abuse and neglect these dogs go through is unbelievable. They so deserve a good home. To all who rescue any animal in need, my hats off to you. May God Bless You.

8. Sonia

Sonia Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2008
    SE Oklahoma
    These are pictures of 'Mama' the day my son found her. She was being kicked into a cement wall by 4 teenagers. Her teeth are broken on the sides from this. (My son was only 9 at the time)

Her condition was horrid. She had very severe scarcoptic mange over 100% of her body. Sores and infection from scratching. Urine burns on all 4 legs and her belly. Overgrown nails (badly enough that she had difficulty walking). Her front teeth are worn down from trying to chew her way out of a basement (we found out later on where she was being kept).
    If anyone wants to know more of her story and how we have had to fight to keep her let me know.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

On this one you can see her butt in the bottom corner.

[​IMG]

She smelled like a piece of rotting meat. It took us 4 months to get her healthy again. If you noticed the black on her? That is NOT the color of her skin. That was all scabs and filth.

Here she is now!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And this little guy I found getting into my garbage can about 3 years ago. He was really skinny, terrible nails and had been saturated in antifreeze. I don't have any before pics but may I present 'Rat'

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Frizzledhen

Frizzledhen Spear Gunnin' Coons

Feb 17, 2007
    Michigan
    Sonia, How did Rat survive the anitfreeze? It only takes a very little to destroy the kidneys. He is one very lucky little Rat. And Moma is also very lucky your son came along when he did. Some kids, and adults, can be very cruel. You are such a great person to spend 4 months treating the mange. It is not a very nice condition to have to treat. You did a good job and I bet those 2 dogs are the happiest they have ever been.

10. Sonia

Sonia Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2008
    SE Oklahoma
    I have no idea how he survived. I can only assume that he didn't actually ingest any of it. It was like he had actually been DIPPED in it.

No mange is no fun to treat. My son got it because when he got her away from the boys he didn't have a shirt on and she was so scared and sick that she just flattened herself to the ground....he picked her up and carried her home. We had to treat all of our animals at the time and wear gloves when we handled her ect. It was a pain but so worth it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by