Rescued Duck Has LOTS of Feather Mites

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by DucksinOR, Dec 20, 2013.

1. DucksinOR

DucksinOR Out Of The Brooder

We just rescued an abandoned Khaki Campbell hen from a lake down the road this morning, and she has really bad mites/bugs in her feathers. How do you get rid of mites on ducks?

2. DucksinOR

Forgot to mention, we don't want to use chemicals. We are looking for natural treatments only.

3. DucksinOR

Just did some quick research and found that the bugs are lice.

4. HollyDuckFarmer

HollyDuckFarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2012
    LP Michigan
    I'd try some food grade Diatomaceous Earth. You might check in with @Delisha and the crew over here, https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/729605/the-natural-chicken-keeping-thread-ots-welcome/25410
    They might have some better info for ya! I've never dealt with that. As you can see from the title, they're all about chickens, not ducks, but some things are universal to all poultry, and I have found them as a group to be very helpful and informative and willing to share and help.

Also this thread might help you too. https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/829397/ugh-mites-i-think

Last edited: Dec 20, 2013
  5. delisha

delisha Overrun With Chickens

Oct 13, 2012
    Racine, WI -
    My Coop
    Sent a PM

6. DucksinOR

Thank you for the replies. Yesterday was her first day out in the backyard with the other poultry. We used wood ashes and they did wonders! I held her after one of her ash baths, and there were some lice nymphs that were just falling off! :) Thank you for your help!!!!! Here is sweet little Taffy.[​IMG][​IMG]

7. delisha

delisha Overrun With Chickens

Oct 13, 2012
    Racine, WI -
    My Coop
    She looks pretty darn good..you are a good duck momma..

8. HollyDuckFarmer

HollyDuckFarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2012
    LP Michigan
    She is beautiful!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by