Rescued duckling, need expert advice for injured foot

cyndiloowho

Songster
7 Years
Apr 5, 2012
Ut
My son rescued this duck from being trampled in his cow pasture. It was all alone and can't seem to use that left foot. The leg does seem to work though. I started niacin in it's water after reading a bit.
Should I tape the foot like a baby chick?
What kind of duck do you think it is?
Thank you!

My son rescued this duck from being trampled in his cow pasture. It was all alone and can't seem to use that left foot. The leg does seem to work though. I started niacin in it's water after reading a bit.
Should I tape the foot like a baby chick?
What kind of duck do you think it is?
Thank you!

Could be a Mallard or even a wood duck and yes fashion a shoe like you'd do for a chick. How's the little one doing this morning? and niacin would be a good idea too.

It looks like a mallard. I'm not sure about taping feet, but perhaps a little rest might help if the leg is otherwise functional and not broken. If it's splay leg, then I would say treatment for that might be a good thing.

If you can fill a bucket with some warm water and let him swim around the injured leg might get some good exercise.
If you use a clear container you can see if he can paddle with it, as well.
Make sure the water is pretty warm (not hot) and when you take him out dry him well and make sure he goes under the heat lamp to totally dry out.
Don't want him to get the chills!
Are their any cuts on his lame leg?

While I only have dealt with one injured duck, it has been my experience that most birds heal themselves really well with just "bed" rest. The Niacin is a good idea though.
smile.png

Best of luck,
Mike

Thanks for all of the help and suggestions!
It does seem to be using it it a bit more today, maybe the niacin is doing the trick. I have been having bad luck with keeping a boot on, coban slips right off. I was thinking about using bandaid tape. I am worried about hurting his skin on his foot.
I noticed him trying to use the foot to scratch his head after swimming today, yesterday he didn't seem to even be aware of it.
How often should I have him exercise in water?

Thanks for all of the help and suggestions!
It does seem to be using it it a bit more today, maybe the niacin is doing the trick. I have been having bad luck with keeping a boot on, coban slips right off. I was thinking about using bandaid tape. I am worried about hurting his skin on his foot.
I noticed him trying to use the foot to scratch his head after swimming today, yesterday he didn't seem to even be aware of it.
How often should I have him exercise in water?
as often as you can but make sure it's warm water since it's so young. the exercise will really help. glad to hear your seeing improvement. That could be the reason it got left behind, couldn't keep up. Wonderful your son was able to save the little one.

Back
Top Bottom