Rescued ducks! What are they????

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by ChickenPrnces, Feb 17, 2012.

1. ChickenPrnces

ChickenPrnces Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2012
    Deerfield, NH
    Rescued these 5 ducks today! DH went to another state to pick up his son and came home with these! They belonged to my father-in-laws neighbor and he was clearly clueless! No pool! Living with chickens! Breeding age! He didn't even know what breed they are! The one female has no neck or back feathers cuz there is 4 drakes! They didn't even know what to do in a bathtub! Water pools are unknown to them! See the water! Yeah my brown duck turned white! Any thoughts on breed! They look like my runners but don't walk upright!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. desertdarlene

desertdarlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    They look like poor quality runners to me. Enjoy! They look happy in your tub.

3. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Bless ya'lls heart for taking them in. I'm sure they will love their new home and all the love and attention they will get.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2012
  4. ChickenPrnces

Jan 2, 2012
    Deerfield, NH
    OK..... So I don't think runner at all now! Momma layed me a very pretty little egg this morning! It is white not tinted like a runners and about half the size! I did some picture comparisons and and i'm thinking 1 pekin, 2 buffs and 2 cayuga! Wish my cayuga were grown up to compare!

5. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    To me it looks like 2 Cayugas, 1 Pekin or possible white runner, 1 Buff Drake, 1 Fawn and White Runner

6. mrpekinduck

mrpekinduck Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2011
    Ducky Land!
    I think Kevin nailed it. The white one just looks a little small for a pekin so I think its a pekin/runner cross.

7. ChickenPrnces

Jan 2, 2012
    Deerfield, NH
    But the one that Kevin is saying is a fawn and white runner is the female and she is not laying runner eggs! The eggs are white not greenish and way smaller than a runner egg!

8. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009

Ducks don't always lay according to standard especially Hatchery Birds.

9. Senna95

Senna95 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2010
    Woodland
    Many runners will lay white eggs. I have runners in the same color that lay different colored eggs (ie. my greys lay either green or white eggs).

As far as breeds go: they look all runner-ish to me. The white one is too narrow to be a pekin, but then again, it's sort of hard to see from the blurry photos.

Anyhow, have a good time, and good luck with your new pets!

Last edited: Feb 19, 2012
  10. Rosepath Garden

Rosepath Garden Out Of The Brooder

Jan 30, 2012
    New Hampshire
    Poor health or nutrition can lead to some funky eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by