Rescued Farm Turkeys

BlueSoul

Chirping
May 11, 2021
My cousin took four juvenile turkeys from a farm ( I don't know how, I didn't ask ) and I took them in cause why not; I like poultry. Anyways, one was stuck user a food dispenser at the farm and sadly died from dehydration but the other three are doing okay but they're older than expected so the boxes I have are a bit small.

My question is how do I get the poop out of their feathers? It's so bad that they don't even look white. I also just realized that their toes have been cut at the knuckle, will that give them balance issues? I've had a rescue hen with the top of her beak cut but it grew back the next year, will the turkeys' beak grow as well?

Thank you for any information

Attachments

• IMG_20221129_025046402.jpg
    IMG_20221129_025046402.jpg
    230 KB · Views: 19
My cousin took four juvenile turkeys from a farm ( I don't know how, I didn't ask ) and I took them in cause why not; I like poultry. Anyways, one was stuck user a food dispenser at the farm and sadly died from dehydration but the other three are doing okay but they're older than expected so the boxes I have are a bit small.

My question is how do I get the poop out of their feathers? It's so bad that they don't even look white. I also just realized that their toes have been cut at the knuckle, will that give them balance issues? I've had a rescue hen with the top of her beak cut but it grew back the next year, will the turkeys' beak grow as well?

Thank you for any information
They will not have any problems with balance. I have a big naked neck that has toes only to the first knuckle due to frostbite and he does great!

Their toes are cut at the knuckle?😭😭😭 Can you post a picture?

I would offer them a place to dust bathe, their feathers will be clean in no time 💗
My mom said the first knuckle but looking at it I think it's just the toe

Attachments

• IMG_20221129_172557487.jpg
    IMG_20221129_172557487.jpg
    588.9 KB · Views: 7
The nails are gone. I can imagine that it's to reduce injuries to flockmates- turkeys are powerful birds and can give you some really deep scratches without even trying.

They're broad breasted whites, the Cornish Cross of the turkey world. Fast growing, big breasts and thighs, prone to health issues as adults. They'll get tough if they're not processed at 4-6 months of age.

Back
Top Bottom