Rescued Feral BB Brown/Red showing growths? after deworming w/ Ivermectin -ugly photos.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by DanG144, Nov 25, 2012.

1. DanG144

DanG144 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 18, 2012
    I rescued a hen from the woods near my wife's school. She is a game hen, BB Brown red I have been told.
    She had severe leg mites, and I treated her with Ivermectin. (Three drops.)
    Now, about 5 days later, her legs are much better, but she is getting growths or inflamed areas on her head and one eye is completely swollen closed. She had none of these yellow or black areas a week ago.
    She is still eating and eliminating very well.
    She is alert and making normal sounds.
    I have given her a .15 cc intramuscular injection of oxytetracycline this morning, as she looks so bad.

I suspect that I may simply be seeing the impact on her of unknown years worth of parasites all dying at once.

I am not willing to spend a lot of money on a Vet, but I am willing to do all that I can.

Any advice would be welcome.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    My goodness that looks painful. I'm guessing, but wet fowl pox or a bad respiratory disease come to mind with those pictures. I would do some google searches on here to look for those symptoms, and please don't get her near any other chickens since she may be contagious. If she gets better, you can treat leg mites with vaseline, baby oil, or Nustock.

3. DanG144

DanG144 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 18, 2012
    An experienced local owner looked at the photos and said they were just injuries from the other hens she had been put in with.
    She obviously had a very hard time.
    She is now completely recovered, and living alone.
    The Ivermectin had nothing to do with her injuries.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by